Fresh pizza dough is so easy to make at home, the perfect base to create these lunchbox scrolls in three different flavours.
Here is my favourite recipe for basic pizza dough. You can use it to create family size pizzas, mini kids pizzas or to make these delicious lunchbox scrolls. I have made them in three flavours: Marmite and Cheese, Hawaiian and Raspberry and Chocolate.
This recipe is perfect because it will double as a dinner (homemade pizzas) and you can also pop the scrolls in lunchboxes for the next day – the kids absolutely love them!
You can make a big batch of them and pop them in the freezer for when needed. They’re so quick to bake (12 mins), you can make them the night before or even the morning of school so they are fresh for the lunchbox.
You can use the same dough base to make pizza too! We love to make the most of the warm summer evenings by having pizza nights outside on the deck to keep that summer holiday feeling alive. You can make it fun for the family by preparing the bases in advance and then everyone can choose what toppings they want to use. I’ve added a few of my favourite ideas below.
HOW TO MAKE Basic pizza dough:
Homemade pizza dough is so simple to make and it only has a few ingredients. Make sure you have high-grade flour and that your yeast is still fresh. I keep mine in the fridge, just check the use-by date before using. My boys really love these pizza scrolls I think the favourite is the Marmite and cheese version.
Place water, sugar and yeast in a large bowl and stir to dissolve, leave covered with a tea towel for 10 minutes. Add flour, olive oil and salt and turn the mixer onto low with the dough hook attached. Mix for 5 minutes until smooth and a little sticky.
Cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for at least 30 mins until doubled in size. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, roll into a log shape and cut into 5 pieces.
Roll each piece into a ball and leave to rise for another 15 minutes. When you are ready to make the pizzas roll flat on top of a sheet of baking paper or well dusted bench then add pizza sauce and toppings.
HOW TO MAKE PIZZA SCROLLS:
Roll a portion of pizza dough into a rectangle then spread the chosen ingredients out to the edges.
Carefully roll up and then cut into pieces. Depending how big you want each scroll.
Place on a lined baking tray and press down with your hands or a rolling pin to spread out the dough. You can top with extra cheese if desired.
Bake in a hot oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until cooked through. Serve warm or cool on a rack then store in an airtight container.
Two of my favourite pizza ideas:
I love making pizzas at home and here are two easy ideas you can try out for yourself.
Smoked chicken and cranberry pizza:
- Pizza sauce
- Smoked chicken
- Cranberry sauce
- Pizza cheese
Prosciutto and mushroom:
- Pizza sauce
- Pizza cheese
- Basil to garnish
Pizza is such a nice dinner to enjoy alfresco during the summer months.
How to freeze pizza bases? Roll each piece of dough into the desired size. Place on a sheet of baking paper. Do this again for each piece, separating each piece with baking paper. Wrap in cling film, beeswax wraps or a large ziplock bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
How to freeze scrolls? Once the dough and filling is rolled up, slice into pieces then wrap in baking paper or clingfilm and freeze for up to 3 months. Let scrolls thaw for 20 to 30 minutes before baking as per instructions.
This recipe also makes delicious focaccia bread, simply drizzle over olive oil, sea salt and rosemary.
Pin this post to your baking board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
basic pizza dough
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tsp honey (or sugar)
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 5 cups high grade flour
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tsp salt
- Place warm water and honey in a large bowl and stir to dissolve. Add yeast and stir again, leave covered with a tea towel for 10 minutes.
- Add flour, olive oil and salt and turn the mixer onto low with the dough hook attached. Mix for 5 minutes until smooth and a little sticky. (Knead with your hands if you do not have a mixer)
- Cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for at least 30 mins until doubled in size.
- Turn out onto a floured surface, roll into a log shape and cut into 5 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and leave to rise for another 15 minutes.
- When you are ready to make the pizza roll flat on top of a well floured bench or sheet of baking paper then add pizza sauce and toppings.
- Bake on a hot pizza stone in a 220.C oven until golden and bubbling.
- After step five when the dough has risen in portions.
- Roll a portion of pizza dough into a rectangle.
- Spread the chosen ingredients out to the edges.
- Carefully roll up and then cut into 8 pieces.
- Place on a lined baking tray and press down with your hands or a rolling pin to spread out the dough.
- Top with extra cheese if desired.
- Bake in a oven at 200.C fanbake for 10 to 15 minutes or until cooked through.
Marmite and cheese scrolls:
1 Tbsp Marmite
½ cup grated cheese
Hawaiian pizza scrolls
2 Tbsp pizza sauce
2 Tbsp pineapple pieces
2 Tbsp chopped ham
¼ cup grated cheese
Raspberry and chocolate scrolls
3 Tbsp raspberry jam
2 Tbsp chocolate drops