Homemade pizza dough is the perfect base for these lunchbox scrolls. Super easy to make and great for school lunches.
These delicious Lunchbox Scrolls were created using my super popular Homemade Pizza Dough. I make them in three flavours: Marmite and Cheese, Hawaiian and Raspberry and Chocolate.
This recipe is perfect because it will double as a dinner (homemade pizzas) and you can also pop the scrolls in lunchboxes for the next day - the kids absolutely love them!
You can make a big batch of them and pop them in the freezer for when needed. They’re so quick to bake (12 mins), you can make them the night before or even the morning of school so they are fresh for the lunchbox.
HOW TO MAKE Lunchbox scrolls:
The first step is to make the pizza dough. It is so simple and only uses a few ingredients. Make sure you have high-grade flour and that your yeast is still fresh. I keep mine in the fridge, just check the use-by date before using. My boys really love these pizza scrolls I think the favourite is the Marmite and cheese version.
Place water, sugar and yeast in a large bowl and stir to dissolve, leave covered with a tea towel for 10 minutes. Add flour, olive oil and salt and turn the mixer to low with the dough hook attached. Mix for 5 minutes until smooth and a little sticky.
Cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for at least 30 minutes until doubled in size. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, roll into a log shape and cut into 5 pieces.
Roll each piece into a ball and leave to rise for another 15 minutes.
Roll a portion of pizza dough into a rectangle then spread the chosen ingredients out to the edges.
Carefully roll up and then cut into pieces. Depending how big you want each scroll.
Place on a lined baking tray and press down with your hands or a rolling pin to spread out the dough. You can top with extra cheese if desired.
Bake in a hot oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until cooked through. Serve warm or cool on a rack then store in an airtight container.
How can I freeze the scrolls? Once the dough and filling is rolled up, slice into pieces then wrap in baking paper or cling film and freeze for up to 3 months. Let scrolls thaw for 20 to 30 minutes before baking as per instructions.
This recipe also makes delicious focaccia bread, simply drizzle over olive oil, sea salt and rosemary. Bake in a hot oven for 15 - 20 minutes.
Pin this post to your baking board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
basic pizza dough
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tsp honey (or sugar)
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 5 cups high grade flour
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tsp salt
Marmite and cheese scrolls
- 1 Tbsp Marmite
- ½ cup grated cheese
Hawaiian pizza scrolls
- 2 Tbsp pizza sauce
- 2 Tbsp pineapple pieces
- 2 Tbsp chopped ham
- ¼ cup grated cheese
Raspberry and chocolate scrolls
- 3 Tbsp raspberry jam
- 2 Tbsp chocolate drops
- Place warm water and honey in a large bowl and stir to dissolve. Add yeast and stir again, leave covered with a tea towel for 10 minutes.
- Add flour, olive oil and salt and turn the mixer onto low with the dough hook attached. Mix for 5 minutes until smooth and a little sticky. (Knead with your hands if you do not have a mixer)
- Cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for at least 30 mins until doubled in size.
- Turn out onto a floured surface, roll into a log shape and cut into 5 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and leave to rise for another 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Roll out a portion of dough into a rectangle then spread the chosen ingredients out to the edges. Carefully roll up and then cut into pieces.
- Place on a lined baking tray and press each scroll down with your hand.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or cooked through. Serve warm, or cool on a wire rack then store in an airtight container.
- One portion of dough will also make 1 pizza.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 114Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 167mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.