Comforting and nostalgic banana muffins with tangy lemon icing. Perfect for school lunches and morning tea, these freeze really well.
Bananas. Sometimes we constantly run out, other times we have a bunch of black ones at the bottom of the fruit bowl! My Banana Muffins with Lemon Icing are perfect for using up overripe bananas. These muffins are so soft and remind me of my childhood, delicious with or without icing.
Made from basic pantry staples, these muffins are so easy to make. If you don't have time to use up your black bananas straight away, you can always peel them and store them in the freezer for later.
How to make Banana muffins with lemon icing:
Preheat the oven to 170°C fan bake. Mix together the butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs in a large bowl. Add banana and milk then stir. Sift in flour, baking powder and soda then fold all ingredients together until combined.
Line muffin trays with paper cases and divide the mixture between them. Bake for 18-23 minutes until golden and just cooked through. Remove muffins from the oven, cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Icing: Mix together the icing sugar, butter, lemon zest and juice. Add boiling water and whisk until there are no lumps. Once they have cooled top each muffin with lemon icing and spread to the edges.
Common questions about Banana muffins with lemon icing:
What other icing could I use? These muffins also taste great with chocolate icing or if you want to get really decadent, you could make cream cheese icing.
How long do these muffins keep for in the freezer? Banana muffins are best frozen un-iced on the day they are made. Cool completely then wrap in plastic wrap or tin foil. Freeze for up to one month.
Pin this post to your baking board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 100g butter, melted
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas, mashed
- ¾ cup milk (175ml)
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 30g butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp boiling water
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan bake.
- Mix together butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs in a large bowl. Add banana and milk then stir.
- Sift in flour, baking powder and soda then fold all ingredients together until combined.
- Line muffin trays with paper cases. Divide mixture between the 18 cases.
- Bake for 18-23 minutes until golden and just cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let the muffins cool for a few minutes in the tin before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Icing: Mix together icing sugar, butter, lemon zest and juice. Add boiling water and whisk until there are no lumps.
- Keep in an airtight container in the pantry for up to 4 days.
- These muffins are tasty with or without icing. Add chocolate chips if you like.
- Chocolate icing and sprinkles on top would be great for a party.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 219Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 158mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.