My gluten free upside down plum cake is a great way to make the most of delicious plums.
My original Upside Down Plum Cake recipe was so popular, I decided to make a gluten free version. Made from a blend of gluten free flour and ground almonds, this cake is soft and and moist just like the original. The cake batter in this recipe is spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. This combination goes so well with the tart plums.
I’m lucky enough to have a friend with several plum trees on her property. I love using up free produce! If you don’t have access to plums, this cake could also be made with pears, apricots, peaches or nectarines.
HOW TO MAKE PLUM CAKE:
To begin, line a cake tin with baking paper. Then brush over the melted butter and scatter in the brown sugar. This helps to slightly caramelise the plums as they cook.
Once the brown sugar and butter mix is in the bottom of the tin, layer over the fresh plums. You can cut them into halves or wedges depending on the size of the plums. Depending on the shape of the tin you’re using you could arrange them differently; in a grid for a rectangle / square tin, in circles for a circular tin.
After you have layered in the plums, pour over the cake batter. The batter is so quick to make with no beating required just a melt and mix together method.
Bake for 40- 45 minutes until golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean (if you use a larger or rectangle cake tin the cook time will vary).
Once the cake is cooked let it cool in the tin then turn it out onto a cake plate and carefully pull off the baking paper. I like to serve my plum cake with whipped cream or greek yoghurt.
Pin this post to your baking board on Pinterest and save it for later
If you love fresh fruit cake recipes, be sure to check out my Lime and coconut cake and one of my all-time favourites Chocolate Banana Cake. Another crowd-pleaser is the decadent and impressive Banana Caramel Cake.
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 30g butter, melted
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 8 medium plums (500g approx)
- 1.5 cups gluten free flour
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 tsp gluten free baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground all spice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 100g butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 170.C fanbake and line a cake tray or tin with baking paper + grease the sides.
- Pour melted butter into the base of the cake tin then brush to the edges, scatter over brown sugar in a thin layer.
- Cut plums into 1cm thick wedges then layer them all on top of the butter and brown sugar until the whole base is covered.
- In a large bowl sift or whisk together the dry ingredients, make a well in the centre and pour in the melted butter, milk and crack in the egg.
- Fold all together until combined and pour the mixture over the plums.
- Bake for 45 minutes until golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. (if you use a smaller or round cake tin the cook time will vary)
- Let cool in the tin for 30 minutes, then invert cake onto wire rack to cool again slightly before serving. Serve with a dallop of yoghurt, whipped cream or warm with ice cream as a dessert.
- If you are making this cake for someone who medically can not have gluten, I would suggest using a certified gluten free baking powder and baking soda such as Hansells brand in New Zealand.
- This recipe would work with most types of stone fruit or even canned pear quarters.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 320Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 339mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 6g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.