This Lumberjack cake is a moist apple and date cake with a delicious coconut topping.
Have you heard of lumberjack cake? It is an old fashioned apple and date cake with a yummy crispy coconut topping for a hearty morning tea.
How to make Lumberjack cake:
This recipe is made by mixing the grated apple and chopped dates with baking soda and boiling water. Set that aside while creating the batter, which is a mixture of butter, sugar, eggs and flour. Stir everything together and you have a delicious cake mixture.
Bake in the oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until it is cooked through and when you press the cake down it springs back. While the cake is cooking mix together the topping ingredients, which is brown sugar, milk, butter and coconut. I used a combination of shredded coconut and coconut chips which adds lovely texture.
Spread the topping mixture over the baked cake then cook for another 15 to 20 minutes until golden. This time will vary as all ovens are different and you don’t want to burn the top.
Once your cake has cooled, sprinkle with icing sugar and serve. I like to serve mine with Greek yoghurt or whipped cream. This cake would also be delicious heated up as a hot pudding with a scoop of ice cream.
Common questions about Lumberjack cake:
Can this cake be made a day in advance? Yes, it actually tastes better the next day. Because it is a moist cake and also excellent heated up for dessert with ice-cream. Just keep it in an airtight container once it is completely cool.
What size cake tin should I use? My cake tin is 22cm and works really well for this recipe.
Do I put the coconut topping on when the baked cake is still hot? Yes, once the cake is cooked remove it from the oven and spread the prepared topping straight onto the top and pop back into the oven.
Can I just bake the cake without the topping? Yes, this is still a delicious moist cake without the crunchy topping. I would suggest dusting it with icing sugar and serving it with yoghurt. Yum.
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 2 large apples, grated
- 1 cup dried or fresh dates, chopped
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup boiling water
- 125g butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 ½ cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp icing sugar to serve
- 60g butter, melted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 cup shredded coconut (I used half coconut chips)
- Preheat oven to 180°C fanbake. Grease and line a 22cm round cake tin.
- Add apples, dates and baking soda to a bowl. Pour in boiling water, mix together and set aside while you make the batter. (10 mins)
- Melt butter in a large microwave proof bowl, pour in sugar and whisk together. Crack in the egg and a teaspoon of vanilla then mix again.
- Add the apple and date mixture and sift in the flour and baking powder. Fold everything together until just combined.
- Pour into prepared cake tin and bake for 55 minutes. (or until cake springs back when you press it)
- Topping: Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix together.
- Remove the cake from the oven and carefully spread the topping over the cake. Return to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave the cake in the tin to cool, then turn out and place on a serving plate.
- Dust the cake with icing sugar before serving.
- I used a 22cm cake tin for this recipe
- When returning the cake into the oven for the topping, keep an eye on it. Every oven is a little different and you don't want it to burn on the edges.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 358Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 276mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 3gSugar: 39gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.