This chocolate banana cake is our family's favourite, it is so easy to make and a great way to use up over ripe bananas!
You can't beat this chocolate banana cake it is such a great combo! This recipe is super easy and all made in one bowl, poured into the tin and then baked for 40 minutes. My husband Mike is a huge fan of the combo of chocolate and banana together, so I make it quite often.
It is a great way to use up bananas that are over ripe and you should have all of the other ingredients in your fridge and pantry. You can use yoghurt or sour cream, which ever you have on hand.
This chocolate banana cake recipe produces a light and fluffy cake your whole family will love. Jazz it up with some sprinkles and candles if you are making it for a birthday party. Or bake it in a square cake tin and ice it like a sheet cake.
The icing is so easy to make by using icing sugar, cocoa and butter with a dash of boiling water to combine it all together. Spread it over your cake and you are done. You could also cut the cake in half an put a layer of berry jam in the middle.
This cake can also be made in a rectangle baking tray, which is great for feeding the kids because the pieces are not so thick. I like to sprinkle the top with hundreds and thousands to add some fun colour.
The mixture is also delicious made into muffins, sprinkle chocolate chips on top and bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.
Click here to pin this post to your baking board on Pinterest and save it for later
More easy cake recipes to try:
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 100g butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 banana, mashed
- ½ cup plain yoghurt or sour cream
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 50g butter, softened
- 1.5 Tbsp boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180°C fanbake.
- Mix together butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in a large bowl. Add banana and yoghurt then stir again.
- Sift in flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa.
- Dissolve baking soda in boiling water then pour into bowl and fold everything together until combined.
- Pour mixture into a greased, lined cake tin.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until cake is cooked through.
- For the icing: Combine icing sugar and cocoa powder. Add softened butter and pour in boiling water. Mix together with a knife or spatula, adding more water if required until smooth. Spread over cake once it has cooled.
- This can be made in a round (23cm) or rectangle (22 x 30cm) cake tin. Cooking times may vary between the two.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 335Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 301mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 1gSugar: 33gProtein: 4g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.