You won’t believe how quick this easy apple slice is to make, with only five ingredients it will become a family favourite.
When I first saw a version of this recipe on The WHOot I could not believe you could make a tasty slice with only five ingredients. Because I am a recipe contributor to The WHOot website I thought it was about time I tried it for myself and also create a video for their readers.
In my version of the recipe I have used canned apple slices to make it even simpler. I also added a couple of optional extra ingredients, cinnamon and all spice if you like a spiced flavour. You can also use fresh apples just cut them into small 1cm cubes so they cook through when baked.
The five ingredients in this recipe are sugar, self-raising flour, apple slices, egg and butter, too easy mate! This slice is very affordable to make, I bought my apple slices from countdown for only $1.50. So it can be made for less than $3. If you have apples you need to use up you could use them instead of the slices in the can.
One of the tricks to this recipe you must remember is to sprinkle the sugar over the top just before baking, this gives the top a lovely crunchy texture.
If you like a little spice in your baking you can use the option of adding cinnamon and allspice. You could also add a pinch of nutmeg if you like that flavour, I think that most sweet spices would work well in this recipe or if you prefer a plain taste just leave them out.
Once your easy apple slice has baked until golden and cooked through, leave it to cool in the tin then slice into large pieces. Serve your apple slice just as it is or with whipped cream. You could even have it as a dessert and serve it warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
I can’t believe such a tasty slice can be made with only five ingredients. Other canned and fresh fruit would work well in this recipe to for example pears, plums and peaches, I can’t wait to try it out with other varieties. Check out my pics with fresh plums below.
With only five ingredients this recipe is super easy to make and a great baking option to fill the kids lunchboxes. I hope your family loves this recipe as much as mine does, I’m sure it will be made over and over again in our house.
More easy baking recipes to try:
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 1 can of apple slices, drained (385g) (13.7oz)
- 2 cups self-raising Flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 125g melted butter (4.4oz)
- 1 Egg
Optional extra spices
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp all spice
- Preheat oven to 180°C fanbake
- In a large bowl mix together apples, flour, sugar and spices if using.
- Add the melted butter and egg then stir until well combined.
- Spread the mixture evenly into a lined baking tray.
- Sprinkle the top with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden and a skewer comes out clean.
- Let the slice cool in the tin then slice into large pieces.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool dark place.
- This recipe would work well with canned pears too.
- To use fresh apples, peel then chop into small pieces.
- If you don't have self raising flour add 2 cups of plain flour with 1 tsp of baking powder.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 241mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.