If you like caramel slice, you will love this decadent version. With crispy rice bubbles and crunchy cashews, this slice goes to the next level!
Caramel slice is one of those treats that always gets eaten first at the shared morning tea. And with good reason - it's delicious! But imagine if you could take it to the next level? Enter the genius inclusion of cashews and crispy rice bubbles.
Made with mostly pantry staples, this slice makes for a great addition to school lunch boxes and shared morning teas. Or just enjoy it yourself after the kids have gone to bed!
HOW TO MAKE Crispy cashew caramel slice:
Preheat the oven to 170.C fan bake, then line a slice tray with baking paper. My slice tin is 29 x 19 cm, the brand is Haven and I purchased from Farmers in New Zealand.
For the base, melt the butter, golden syrup and sugar together in a large bowl, then mix to combine. Add the flour, cashews and rice bubbles and mix again. Press the mixture into a lined slice tin and cook in the oven for 10 minutes.
While the base is cooking, place the sweetened condensed milk, butter and golden syrup in a saucepan. Stir continuously over a low heat until smooth and slightly browned. Spread the caramel filling over the base then return to the oven for a further 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
Finally make the chocolate topping. Melt the chocolate in the microwave then add the oil and whisk until smooth. Spread the chocolate out over the cooled filling. Refrigerate the whole slice until set, then cut up into squares.
Post to your slices board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 200g butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp golden syrup
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup roasted cashews, chopped
- 1½ cups rice bubbles
- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 30g butter
- 2 Tbsp golden syrup
- 200g milk or dark chocolate
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Line a slice tin (approximately 19 x 29cm) with baking paper. Preheat oven to 170°C fanbake.
- Base: Melt butter, sugar and golden syrup together in the microwave, then stir to combine.
- Add flour, chopped cashews and rice bubbles. Mix to combine, then press the mixture into the lined tin. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven ready for caramel filling.
- Filling: While base is baking, combine filling ingredients in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until smooth. Spread filling over the base and return to the oven. Bake for a further 15 minutes, then remove from oven and leave to cool in the tin.
- Topping: Melt chocolate in the microwave, stir in the oil and whisk until smooth. Spread over the cooled filling.
- Refrigerate until the topping has set. Cut into squares to serve.
- Store your slice in an airtight container in the fridge.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 230mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 0gSugar: 18gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.