A simple and easy recipe for making perfect buttercream icing. Excellent for icing birthday cakes.
If you're looking for the perfect Buttercream Icing recipe, then look no further. My recipe is effortless and produces perfect icing every time.
Whether you are icing a birthday cake or cupcakes, this is the only recipe you will need.
The secret ingredient is the milk. This makes it extra smooth and creamy.
You can keep buttercream icing plain white, or add in a few drops of your favourite food colouring.
How to make Buttercream icing:
To start, add the softened butter to a stand mixer and whip for 2 minutes until pale. Add the icing sugar, milk and vanilla essence.
Whip on a high speed until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides as you go.
Add a few drops of the optional food colouring. Mix to combine until the icing has been coloured evenly.
Spread icing over a cooled cake.
My go-to chocolate cake for birthdays is my Celebration Chocolate Cake. It makes a HUGE cake which is perfect for feeding a crowd.
If you are looking for some fun cake ideas, check out my post for Easy Kids' Birthday Cakes.
Pin this post to your baking board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 100g butter, softened
- 2 cups icing sugar, 260g
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla essence
- Food colouring of your choice, optional
- Add the softened butter to a stand mixer and whip for 2 minutes until pale.
- Add the icing sugar, milk and vanilla essence.
- Whip on a high speed until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides as you go.
- Add a few drops of the optional food colouring. Mix to combine until the icing has been coloured evenly.
- Spread icing over a cooled cake.
- If you prefer, you can keep the icing white.
- Always allow your cake to cool completely before icing. If the cake is warm the icing will melt.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 110Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 41mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 16gProtein: 0g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.