This date loaf is so quick and easy to whip up and share with friends over a cuppa.
Most NZ families will have a classic Date Loaf recipe, and this is mine from my Nana. She used to add whatever she had in the pantry or had just harvested. Nana’s Date and Walnut Loaf was legendary especially at Country Women’s Institute lunches.
The secret ingredient is Weetbix you crush it in on top of the dates then let it soak with the sugar and boiling water, before adding the dry ingredients. Fold it all together and put it into a loaf tin. Adding the brown sugar to the top also gives it a lovely golden crunch.
Whatever your tastes there is nothing old fashioned about dates in a warm loaf with lashings of butter. Date loaf is ideal to take to a bake sale or gift to a friend who could do with a pick me up.
CLICK HERE TO PIN THIS POST TO YOUR BAKING BOARD ON PINTEREST TO SAVE IT FOR LATER
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 50g butter, melted
- 4 Weetbix, crushed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 180.C fanbake
- Prepare a loaf tin with baking paper and cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine dates, butter, Weetbix, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and boiling water.
- Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in egg and sift in flour. Fold all ingredients together until combined.
- Pour into prepared loaf tin and scatter over brown sugar.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit in the loaf tin for at least 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Best served warm with butter.
Store in an airtight container in the pantry.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 233Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 232mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 31gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.