Tender pork chops served in a creamy mushroom sauce. A tasty and quick meal perfect for the cooler months.
If you enjoy a hearty meal in the winter, you'll love my Pork Chops in Mushroom Sauce. They key to this tasty meal is browning the chops before placing them back in the sauce. This process allows the fat to render out and turns the chops golden brown.
A few simple ingredients make this meal super tasty. It's all in the way you use them! I've used portobello mushrooms here, but you could use your favourite type including white button mushrooms.
How to make Pork Chops in Mushroom Sauce:
Trim the skin off the chops leaving a thin layer of fat then season with salt, pepper and paprika. Heat olive oil and butter in a large cast iron or non-stick pan until bubbling, then sear pork chops for 4 minutes per side until golden brown.
Remove and cover chops. Add red onion to pan with half a cup of the stock to deglaze the pan. Add mushrooms and stir to combine. Stir in crushed garlic and cook for two more minutes before adding the remaining stock and cream. Simmer for 5 minutes until thickened. Season to taste.
Place pork chops and their juices back into the sauce and allow 2-3 minutes for them to reheat and cook through. Garnish with fresh thyme then serve with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables.
Pin this post to your dinners board on Pinterest and save it for later
If you want to make this recipe gluten free: Always check the label on processed foods, including sauce bottles.
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 4 pork chops
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ cup cream
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- Trim the skin off the pork chops still leaving a thin layer of fat. Season with salt and pepper then sprinkle over paprika.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet or non-stick pan. Once hot and bubbling sear chops for 4 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Remove pork chops and cover to keep warm. If they are thick chops add them to a warm oven while you make the sauce.
- Add red onion to pan, pour in half a cup of the vegetable stock and stir to deglaze the pan. Add mushrooms and stir to combine with the stock and onions.
- Stir in the crushed garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in the rest of the vegetable stock and the cream.
- Bring to a gentle simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce is reduced and thickened up. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place pork chops and their juices back into the sauce and allow to reheat for 2-3 minutes. Garnish with fresh thyme.
- Serve on top of mashed potatoes with steamed greens.
Always check the label on processed foods, including sauce bottles, to ensure they are completely gluten free.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 524Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 173mgSodium: 432mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 43g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.