This baked garlic chicken dish is quick and simple to assemble, and makes for a great dinner all year round.
One-pot meals are awesome for so many reasons. They're easy to assemble, all the flavours bake together in one place and there are less dishes! My Baked Garlic Chicken is a delicious meal that can be served in the summer with a fresh garden salad or in the winter with some mashed potatoes. Check out my favourite chicken dinners here.
The other great thing about this dish is that there are only 6 ingredients! Once they are assembled in the dish all the cooking is done in the oven. In fact, this meal is so easy to prepare, it would be a great recipe for older kids in the house to make.
HOW TO MAKE baked garlic chicken:
Preheat the oven to 190°C fanbake. Then start by arranging the chicken legs in an ovenproof casserole dish (preferably one you have a lid for). Mix the OXO cube with one cup of boiling water and pour over the chicken (or use one cup of chicken stock if you have some to use). Scatter over the sliced garlic, sage leaves and lemon zest, then squeeze the lemon juice. Season well with salt and pepper.
Place the covered dish into the hot oven for 30 minutes. If your dish doesn't have a lid, you can use tinfoil instead. After 30 minutes, remove the lid and bake for a further 15 minutes uncovered. Remove from the oven again and add the cream (optional). Bake for an additional 15 minutes until the juices of the chicken run clear and the skin is golden.
Serve the chicken with a summer salad and plenty of crusty bread to soak up the delicious creamy garlic sauce.
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT Baked Garlic Chicken:
Can I use different cuts of chicken? Yes! Chicken drumsticks or thighs would both work well for this recipe. The cuts with bones in are the best for a slow bake as they have more flavour.
I'm dairy-free, can I skip the cream? Absolutely. The cream helps to thicken up the sauce but you could achieve this by removing the cooked chicken legs from the pan and simmering the sauce on the stove top until it thickens up.
Pin this post to your dinners board on Pinterest and save it for later
If you want to make this recipe gluten free: Always check the label on processed foods, including sauce bottles.
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 5 chicken legs (drumsticks or thighs will work too)
- 1 cup chicken stock (I used an oxo cube & boiling water)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 10 sage leaves, finely sliced
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 100mls cream (optional)
- Arrange chicken legs in an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Mix oxo cube with boiling water and pour over the chicken.
- Scatter over the sliced garlic and sage leaves. Grate over lemon zest and squeeze the juice of a lemon. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Bake covered at 190°C fanbake for 30 minutes then remove the lid (or tinfoil). Bake for a further 15 minutes then pour in the cream (optional).
- Bake for another 15 minutes until the juices of the chicken run clear and the skin is golden.
- Serve chicken with a summer salad and plenty of crusty bread to soak up the delicious creamy lemon garlic sauce.
Always check the label on processed foods, including sauce bottles, to ensure they are completely gluten free.
- If you have time and want to thicken up the sauce. Remove the chicken legs and let them rest, put the casserole dish the stove top and bring to a simmer. Stir in corn flour slurry until it thickens up, then pour that over the chicken.
- Leave the cream out if you want to keep it dairy-free.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 352mgSodium: 356mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 64g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.