This delicious spring salad is packed full of goodies – asparagus, avocado, crispy bacon, pinenuts, cherry tomatoes and risoni pasta all topped with a delicious pesto dressing.
Spring has sprung in New Zealand and I am so excited about all the fresh new season produce in store at Countdown. Daylight savings means longer days and warmer weather so I can’t wait to serve up delicious salads and lighter meals.
It is so nice to see fresh asparagus, avocados and spring onions in store at Countdown. I love buying seasonal produce and it’s great to know I can pick it all up in one place.
How to make this simple salad:
This salad is so simple to make first of all you just need to cook the fresh asparagus and risoni pasta. Grill the bacon until it’s crispy and slice in to bite size pieces. Then it is just a case of layering up all the amazing fresh ingredients on one big platter. Top it off with toasted pinenuts and shaved Parmesan cheese.
The pesto dressing is so simple to make just whisk together olive oil and pesto then drizzle over the warm pasta salad. This salad would be perfect for serving at a special occasion, barbecue or even on Christmas Day. It also makes a delicious midweek meal by simply serving it layered in individual dinner bowls.
If you like to do meal prep you can make this salad at the start of the week and store it in snaplock containers. Add the avocado and dressing just before you eat your salad as you don’t want the avocado to turn brown.
The avocados in this salad are from an orchard in the Far North and the asparagus were grown in Cambridge. Countdown is passionate about providing seasonal produce from local growers.
Thanks so much to Countdown for partnering me to create this delicious recipe I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine does.
More easy bacon recipes to try:
Check out the easy recipe below:
Asparagus and bacon pasta salad
Yield 4 serves
- 400g risoni / orzo
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 250g streaky bacon
- 100g baby spinach
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 50g pinenuts, toasted
- 50g fresh parmesan shavings (optional)
- 50g pesto
- 50ml olive oil
- Cook risoni according to packet instructions.
- Slice each asparagus stem into three pieces and then boil until just cooked.
- Grill bacon rashers in the oven until crispy then chop into bite-size pieces.
- Assemble the salad on a large platter starting with the cooked risoni and stir through baby spinach. Top with a layer of cherry tomatoes, cooked asparagus, avocado, crispy bacon, spring onion and toasted pinenuts. Add parmesan if using.
- To make the dressing whisk together pesto and olive oil, serve in a small jug. Pour over the salad just before serving.
- If you want to make this salad ahead of time, store in the fridge then add the avocado and crispy bacon just before serving.
- This salad serves 4 as a main or 8-10 as a side dish.