This Asparagus Tart has a crispy shortcrust case and is filled with creamy eggs, tasty feta and seasonal asparagus. A lovely dish to take to a picnic or shared lunch.
I'm always looking for new ways to cook seasonal produce. Vegetables like asparagus taste great on their own, but I like to have a few recipes up my sleeve to get some variety in! My Asparagus and Feta Tart is an excellent way to use asparagus over the spring and summer seasons.
I've used store bought shortcrust pastry to make this recipe even easier. However, feel free to make your own if you know how! If you only have flaky pastry in the freezer you could use that as a substitute.
How to make Asparagus and Feta Tart:
Start by preheating the oven to 180°C fanbake. Grease a tart tin with oil, then push square pastry sheets into the tin, overlapping where necessary to ensure the whole tin and sides are covered. Prick the pastry with a fork. Cover with baking paper then baking beads and blind bake for 15 minutes.
Whisk together the eggs, cream, herbs, salt and pepper. Cut any thick asparagus in half. Remove crust from the oven. Pour in the egg mixture, scatter over the feta and place asparagus on top.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and cooked through. Serve immediately sliced into pieces with tomato relish or chutney.
For other lovely picnic ideas, check out my posts for Sausage and Picnic Pie, Giant Pork Sausage Roll, and my ever-popular Chicken and Sweetcorn Pies.
Common questions about this recipe
What kind of tin did you use? My tart tin is 30cm x 20xm and has a removable base. It's not essential to have a removal base but it does help!
Would this be a nice dish for Christmas Day? It sure would! This would be a great side dish to serve at your xmas lunch or dinner. You could even cut it into smaller squares as finger food before your main meal.
Pin this post to your Dinners board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
Asparagus and Feta Tart
A delicious tart filled with seasonal asparagus, creamy eggs and tasty feta.
- 2 sheets savoury shortcrust pastry
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup cream (125ml)
- 2 Tbsp chopped herbs (parsley and basil)
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 100g feta (crumbled)
- 1 bunch asparagus
- Tomato relish or chutney to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C fanbake.
- Grease tart tin with oil. Push square pastry sheets into the tin, overlapping where necessary to ensure the whole tin and sides are covered.
- Prick the pastry with a fork, cover with baking paper then baking beads and blind bake for 15 minutes.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Cut any thick asparagus in half.
- Remove crust from oven and place on a baking tray in case the egg leaks.
- Pour in the egg mixture, scatter over the feta and place asparagus on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Serve immediately sliced into pieces with tomato relish or chutney.
- Serve with a green salad as a main meal.
- Also delicious served cold at a picnic.
- My tart tin is 30 x 20cm and has a removable base.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 292mgSodium: 428mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 13g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.
Hi, my name is Bhavika. I started following you on Facebook few weeks ago from recommendation from one of my friend that I taking to about your magic slice. Can’t wait to try a lot of your recipes. They looks delicious. Thank u so much for sharing it with us.
Thanks so much! Happy baking 🙂