My Mexican Chicken Salad is a feast for the eyes as well as the tummy! Creamy, crunchy, sweet and salty, this salad has it all.
This Mexican Chicken Salad is like a party in a bowl! The combination of flavours and textures is so yummy and the homemade chipotle dressing really sets it off. This salad is huge and feeds a crowd, perfect to serve at a dinner party or BBQ.
There’s a great balance between grains, protein and vegetables in this complete meal. For younger children, you could put some of their favourite foods on a separate plate and leave the dressing off.
How to make Mexican Chicken Salad:
To begin, whisk together the olive oil, cumin, paprika and salt in a large dish. Slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally, coat in the mixture then place in the fridge until ready to cook. Whisk together the chipotle dressing ingredients then place in the fridge.
Cook chicken breasts on a hot BBQ for 4 minutes each side or until cooked through. Grill corn cobs at the same time. Let the cooked chicken rest while you prepare the salad.
On a large platter arrange the salad starting with the iceberg lettuce and rice. Slice the corn off the cob, then arrange with the tomatoes and corn chips.
Slice the chicken and avocado and arrange them on top of the salad. Scatter over coriander and spring onion the drizzle over the chipotle dressing.
Common questions about Mexican Chicken Salad:
Does this keep well for leftovers the next day? It sure does! Store in an airtight container in the fridge overnight then enjoy this delicious lunch the next day.
Where can I buy chipotle sauce from? Chipotle sauce is available in most supermarkets.
Pin this post to your salads board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 800g chicken breast
- 2 corn cobs, cooked
- 3 avocados, sliced
- 1 iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 250g brown rice, cooked
- 100g plain corn chips
- 2 Tbsp fresh coriander, optional
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1⁄2 cup thick mayo
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp chipotle sauce
- 1⁄4 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp lemon/lime juice
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- Whisk together olive oil, cumin, paprika and salt in a large dish. Slice chicken breasts in half horizontally then add to the dish, coat in the mixture and store in the fridge until ready to BBQ or grill.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the chipotle dressing and store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Heat barbecue or a large frying pan to a high heat, add chicken breast and cook for approx 4 minutes per side until the chicken is cooked through. Grill corn cobs at the same time.
- Let the cooked chicken rest while you prep the salad.
- On a large serving platter arrange the salad. Start off with iceberg lettuce and scatter over the cooked brown rice. Slice the corn off the cob, arrange with the tomatoes and corn chips.
- Slice each chicken breast and lay them on top along with the avocado. Scatter over fresh coriander (if using) and spring onion.
- Drizzle some of the dressing over the top and serve the rest in a jug on the side so each person can add extra to their plates.
- To get ahead, the chicken can be marinated the day before.
- I like to cook my corn in the microwave for 3 minutes with the husks on before grilling it on the BBQ.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 563Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 674mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 9gSugar: 5gProtein: 36g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.