This one pot chicken pasta is so easy to make - such a delicious, tasty and comforting dinner.
I really love one pot pasta meals and this recipe is one of my favourite chicken dinners. All those beautiful cooking flavours get absorbed into the sauce and pasta making the dish taste even more delicious. Plus, it means less dishes!
For this recipe I've used chopped chicken thighs however you could substitute this for chicken breasts if you prefer. I've also made it with leftover cooked chicken in the past, just add it in at the same time as the pasta. Don't forget you can use my recipes as a guide! If you don't have wholegrain mustard you could use American or dijon mustard and of course, your favourite type of pasta instead of spirals.
HOW TO MAKE one pot chicken and pasta:
Start by heating the oil in a large frying pan. Add the diced chicken and sliced onion to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Next, add the garlic, Italian herbs, mustard, lemon zest and juice and stir through the chicken mix. Scatter in the baby spinach leaves, stir them through then place the lid on the pan until the spinach has wilted.
After that, pour in the stock, milk and your choice of pasta, then stir to combine. Bring the mix to a boil then reduce the heat down to medium. Keep stirring every few minutes until the liquid has been absorbed and the pasta is cooked al dente (to the bite!). Stir through the sour cream and grated cheese then season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with a fresh salad and crusty bread.
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT One pot chicken and pasta:
Can I use different pasta? Of course. Macaroni, spirals, penne, or orzo would all work well with this dish.
Can I substitute the sour cream for anything? Yes! The sour cream can be substituted for cream cheese, regular cream or even greek yoghurt.
Pin this post to your dinners board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 400g chicken thigh or breast, diced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp Italian herbs
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Zest and juice of half a small lemon
- 150g baby spinach
- 600ml chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 250g pasta spirals or penne
- ½ cup sour cream (125g tub)
- ½ cup grated cheese
- Heat oil in a large frypan, add chicken and onion cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, Italian herbs, mustard, lemon zest and juice then stir with the chicken.
- Scatter in baby spinach leaves and stir through mixture. Place the lid on top until the spinach wilts.
- Pour in stock, milk and pasta then stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium. Keep stirring every few minutes until the liquid has absorbed and pasta is cooked al dente.
- Stir through sour cream and grated cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with a fresh salad and crusty garlic bread
- Any shape pasta could be swapped for spirals - penne, orzo, macaroni etc
- The sour cream can be substituted for cream cheese, standard cream or greek yoghurt.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 168mgSodium: 607mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 3gSugar: 12gProtein: 41g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.