This delicious salad is made with tender venison, fluffy couscous and roast vegetables.
This easy Venison and Couscous Salad is such a quick and healthy dinner to make. Super easy to prepare and it tastes amazing. You can also swap the venison for beef sirloin or fillet steak.
This delicious meal can be made all year round, just substitute in your favourite, seasonal vegetables to roast. I love making my creamy basil dressing for this meal but it would also taste delicious with the pesto dressing from my Orzo and Haloumi Salad.
How to make venison and couscous salad:
To begin, switch the oven on to 180°C fanbake. Add all the chopped vegetables to a non-stick baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 45 minutes or until roasted to your preference. Then combine the couscous with the vegetable stock and cover to cook. Fluff up after 5 minutes.
Mix together the dressing ingredients and chill until needed. Next, coat the venison in olive oil and season well. When the meat is at room temperature, cook on a hot grill for three minutes each side. Leave to rest for 5 minutes.
Compile the salad starting with a layer of couscous and rocket. Then add the roasted vegetables and sliced venison. Serve with the dressing on the side.
I love couscous because it’s so quick and easy to make. Plus, it’s also great for soaking up delicious cooking juices. For more inspiration on what to put with couscous, check out my recipes for One Pot Roast Chicken and Couscous, Slow Cooker Morrocan Lamb with Apricots and Couscous or Roast Vegetable and Couscous Salad.
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT venison and couscous salad:
How long do I grill venison for? I like my venison medium rare so I cook it for 3 minutes each side. Cook it longer if you like it well done, or less if you like it rare.
What other roast vegetables could I use? Parsnip, pumpkin or courgette would also work really well in this dish.
Pin this post to your salads board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 300g Venison steaks
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, chopped
- 1 capsicum, sliced
- 1 beetroot, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup vegetable stock, boiling hot
- 50g rocket leaves
- 125g thick greek yoghurt
- 4 Tbsp mayo
- 4 Tbsp basil, finely chopped
- Lemon zest and juice
- Add all of the chopped vegetables to a non-stick baking tray, coat with olive oil, season with salt and pepper then bake for 45 minutes at 180.C fanbake.
- Combine couscous with vegetable stock. Cover and let it sit for five minutes then fluff with a fork.
- Mix together all of the ingredients for the dressing and chill until ready to use.
- Coat venison in olive oil and season well with salt and pepper, bring up to room temperature.
- Cook on a hot grill for three minutes on each side for medium rare or longer if desired. Remove and let steaks rest for five minutes.
- Compile the salad by layering the couscous and rocket with the roasted vegetables. Slice the venison and then arrange on top of the salad. Serve with the dressing on the side.
- Feel free to use a combination of your favourite roast vegetables for this dish.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 620Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 196mgSodium: 465mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 6gSugar: 15gProtein: 65g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.