Packed full of flavour and vegetables, my Vegetarian Burrito Bowls are the perfect healthy, meatless Monday dinner.
To create these Vegetarian Burrito Bowlsl, I used Funky Fields Minced which is 100% plant-based. At first I was quite sceptical. I decided to make a burrito bowl because I love chilli con carne and I thought this recipe is a really good way to put it to the test, comparing it to standard beef mince.
This burrito bowl is packed with vegetables and I also added some corn chips for a bit of crunch! You can make it with white or brown rice, I used brown rice for more flavour, texture and nutrients.
This product is the perfect solution for those of you who want to try out Meat Free Monday! Funky Fields Minced is 100% vegan, has 18% protein and the colour comes from beetroot.
To cook up the chilli for the burrito bowl I just treated the plant based mince like I would any standard beef or pork mince. It fried up well with onions, garlic, spices, tomatoes and beans and was so easy to use.
Common questions about Vegetarian Burrito Bowls:
Does the plant based mince taste like beef mince? I was pleasantly surprised! It didn’t taste exactly like beef mince but I was impressed with the texture and flavour of the end result combined with the spices and beans. My husband tried it and said it tasted like a lighter, healthier version of beef mince and he would happily eat it for dinner, so it passed the tradie test.
How else could I serve it? This delicious chilli con carne is also great on tacos! It’s the same ingredients but served on top of a toasted taco instead of in the bowl.
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400g Funky Fields Minced
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen corn
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 avocados, diced
- 100g cheese, grated
- ¼ iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 cups of corn chips
- 125g sour cream
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- In a large frypan sauté onion until cooked through, add garlic and Funky Fields Minced and use a spatula to break it up.
- Fry until the mince has browned, pour in the tomatoes and add the spices and salt, stir to combine all of the sauce then add in the black beans.
- Simmer for a further five minutes until everything is cooked through.
- Serve the hot mince mixture on top of cooked rice with corn, tomatoes, avocado, cheese, lettuce and crushed corn chips.
- Mix the sour cream with the paprika and dollop on top of your burrito bowl, serve immediately with a wedges of lime.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 617Total Fat: 68gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 46gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 1811mgCarbohydrates: 135gFiber: 24gSugar: 8gProtein: 27g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.
AD – Thanks so much to Countdown for partnering with me to create this recipe.