Pesto marinated salmon fillets grilled to perfection on the BBQ. Served with grilled asparagus, pita pockets and slaw.
Salmon is one of those items that I always buy when it's on special. Even if it means jiggling around my meal plan for the week! This recipe for BBQ Pesto Salmon with Slaw is such a delicious way to eat salmon and a great sharing meal.
This meal tastes great in summer served with BBQ grilled asparagus. If asparagus is out of season, you could use either fresh or frozen green beans.
How to make BBQ Pesto salmon with Slaw:
Slice the salmon into 1 inch thick pieces and check for any bones. Mix together the olive oil and pesto then coat the salmon on all sides. Mix together all the ingredients for the coleslaw, then set aside in the fridge.
Barbecue the salmon fillets for a few minutes on each side until cooked through. At the same time, barbecue the asparagus spears and garlic pitas.
Serve the hot salmon fillets with cabbage slaw, barbecued asparagus and toasted pitas. I like to serve mine on a large serving platter and have everyone help themselves.
Common questions about Pesto salmon with Slaw:
Does the salmon have to be cooked on a BBQ? No, the salmon could also be cooked on a griddle pan on the stove top.
Can I use different types of pesto? Absolutely. You could also use basil pesto if you prefer. I have a great recipe for Homemade Pesto on my blog that would taste amazing with this meal.
Pin this post to your Dinners board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 600g salmon fillets
- 3 Tbsp pesto
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1⁄4 red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled & shredded
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, finely sliced
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 4 garlic pita pockets
- Slice salmon fillets into 1 inch thick pieces and check for any bones. Mix together the olive oil and pesto then coat the salmon fillets on all sides.
- In a large bowl mix together the mayo, sour cream and lemon juice then season with salt and pepper. Add the cabbage, carrot, mint and spring onion and stir through the dressing. Set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Barbecue the salmon fillets for a few minutes on each side until cooked through.
- At the same time, barbecue the asparagus spears and garlic pitas.
- Serve the hot salmon fillets with cabbage slaw, barbecued asparagus and toasted pitas.
- I used sun-dried tomato red pesto but you could use green pesto as well in this recipe.
- Plain or garlic pitas can be used. Feel free to add your own garlic butter.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 558Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 293mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 37g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.