These delicious BBQ chicken roti are topped with satay sauce and are super easy to make. A real crowd-pleaser.
Who says you have to have a curry to enjoy roti? This is my homemade version of street-food style hawker rolls. Cooked in the toaster (or frypan) the roti becomes a crunchy, tasty base for the BBQ chicken and satay sauce. Eaten straight from the plate you don't even need a knife and fork for this easy dinner.
The key to this recipe is in the prep. I like to marinate the chicken and make the satay sauce in advance so that it's easy to assemble come dinner time. If you're short on time, marinate the chicken 15 minutes before you are ready to cook.
Did you know this recipe was voted as one of the top 8 VJ Cooks dinner recipes of all time by our social media followers? To celebrate these popular recipes, I compiled a FREE ebook of the crowd favourites. Click here to download my Favourite Dinners ebook.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN ROTI:
Mix together the olive oil, cumin and garlic powder in a bowl. Coat the chicken thighs in the marinade. Cover and leave in the fridge until you're ready to BBQ.
Make the satay sauce by placing the boiling water and peanut butter into a bowl and whisking until smooth. Stir in the sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce and ground ginger. Refrigerate until required.
Grill the chicken on a hot BBQ or frypan until cooked all the way through. Leave to rest for a few minutes then slice into 1cm strips. Toast the roti in the toaster. Serve with coleslaw, cucumber, spring onions, grilled bbq chicken strips, satay sauce and coriander.
These chicken roti rolls are so versatile and you can easily to swap the chicken for lamb, beef steak or tofu. Fill with your favourite salad ingredients or readymade coleslaw. If you can't get your hands on roti swap for pita pockets or wraps.
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 500g boneless chicken thighs
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ cup boiling water
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 ½ Tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 200g asian style coleslaw
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1 Tbsp Coriander
- 8 roti, toasted
- Mix together the olive oil, cumin and garlic in a bowl. Coat the chicken thighs in the marinade. Cover and leave in the fridge until you’re ready to BBQ.
- Satay sauce: Place boiling water and peanut butter in a mixing bowl and stir until smooth. Stir in sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce and ground ginger. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Grill the chicken on a hot barbecue or frypan until cooked through, let it rest for a few minutes and then slice in to 1 cm thick slices.
- Toast roti in the toaster or in a dry frypan until crispy.
- Serve hot roti stacked with slaw, cucumber, chicken slices, satay sauce, spring onion and coriander.
- If you can't find roti these would work well in wraps, bao buns or tortillas.
- To mix it up swap the chicken for lamb, beef steak or tofu.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 629Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 153mgSodium: 1081mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 10gSugar: 8gProtein: 42g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.