Take your taste buds to colourful Mexico with these popular burrito bowls. This is a great mid-week family meal and is ready in under 30 minutes.
Not only are these chicken burrito bowls super colourful to look at, they taste fresh and delicious. Best served in summer when corn and tomatoes are in season, they will leave you feeling nourished and satisfied.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN BURRITO BOWLS:
Start off by sautéing the onions in a large pan before adding the garlic and chicken mince. Once the chicken has been cooked through, add the tomatoes, spices and salt. Add the beans and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Assemble the bowl by laying a bed of cooked rice on the bottom then a serving of the chicken mince on top. Arrange the chopped tomatoes, corn and lettuce around the edge of the bowl, along with the corn chips and cheese.
Finish off by mixing the sour cream and paprika together and place a dollop on top of each bowl.
Sliced avocado and carrots would also be a great addition to this meal. It also makes a great lunch so you can meal prep in advance and store in the fridge in a airtight container for up to 3 days.
Post to your dinner board on Pinterest and save it for later
If you want to make this recipe gluten free: Always check the label on processed foods, including sauce bottles.
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500g chicken mince
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (400g)
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can red kidney beans, (425g) rinsed & drained
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn, cooked
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 100g cheese, grated
- ¼ iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 cups corn chips
- 125g sour cream
- 1 tsp paprika
- Heat olive oil In a large frying pan, add onion and sauté until cooked through. Add garlic and chicken mince. Using a spatula to break it up, fry until the mince has browned.
- Pour in the tomatoes, add the spices and salt, stir well to combine, then add the beans.
- Simmer for a further 5 minutes until everything is cooked through.
- Serve the hot mince mixture in bowls on top of cooked rice with corn, tomatoes, cheese, lettuce and crushed corn chips.
- Mix the sour cream with the paprika and dollop on top of each burrito bowl, then serve immediately.
If you want to make this gluten free, always check the label on processed foods, including sauce bottle.
- If you have Pepper & Me Mexellent paste you can use 2 Tbsp in place of the spices.
- Avacodo would be a great addition to the dish.
- If you have leftover chicken and bean mixture you can freeze it and use it later for tacos, nachos, burritos or quesadillas.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 821Total Fat: 70gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 46gCholesterol: 177mgSodium: 1489mgCarbohydrates: 107gFiber: 10gSugar: 7gProtein: 48g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.