This recipe for teriyaki chicken bowls is so easy, the chicken bakes in the sauce to make it super tasty and tender.
These teriyaki chicken bowls are so tasty, add some kewpie mayo and you have your self a healthy dinner the whole family will love.
You make the sauce with a combo of sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and garlic. Pour it over the chicken and bake until it is cooked through and tender.
This recipe makes enough sauce to pour over the chicken and soak into the rice and which goes so well with the fresh veggies.
The kids love this meal too! I served up 4 small portions because we had friends over for dinner, they all loved it so that was a success. I swapped the edamame beans for peas and corn to make it a bit more child friendly.
More dinner recipes to try:
Check out the easy recipe below:
Teriyaki chicken bowls
Yield 6 serves
This recipe for teriyaki chicken bowls is so easy, the chicken bakes in the sauce to make it super tasty and tender. It makes a big batch so you may want to halve the recipe.
- 1 kg boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (but other vinegar would work)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tsp cornflour
- 1 Tbsp boiling water
- 3 cups cooked medium grain rice
- 2 carrots, shredded or grated
- 2 cups cabbage, sliced
- 1 cup cooked edamame beans
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- Sesame seeds
- Kewpie Japanese mayo
- Preheat oven to 200.C fanbake.
- Combine the teriyaki sauce ingredients.
- Place chicken thighs in an oven proof dish and pour over sauce.
- Bake for 30 minutes then turn over chicken, add the cornflour mix to the sauce.
- Turn the oven onto fan grill and place the dish closer to the grill.
- Cook for another 15 minutes until chicken is golden and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken and slice into strips, the sauce should have thickened up, if it hasn't place the sauce in the dish back under the grill.
- Serve on top of cooked rice, add the carrots, cabbage, edamame beans, spring onion and then the chicken. Spoon over extra teriyaki sauce and scatter sesame seeds over chicken.
- Add as much kewpie mayo as desired then serve immediately.