This hot cross bun bread and butter pudding is easy to make and so delicious!
I always get excited at this time of the year when hot cross buns come into store. This hot cross bun bread and butter putting is so delicious and will become a family favourite.
This recipe is a great way to use up stale hot cross bun‘s if you ever have any left over. It also works well with fresh hot cross buns if you are buying them just make this delicious dessert.
You can make this recipe with traditional hot cross buns or you can also make it with chocolate hot cross buns, too yummy!
The recipe is super simple, first of all you cut the hot cross buns in to thick slices. Then generously spread each one wth butter. Arrange the slices side-by-side in a bowl and now it’s time to make the egg custard mixture.
Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla then pour it over the hot cross buns, too easy! I like to let the mixture soak into the hot cross buns before I put it into the oven.
Your kitchen will smell amazing while this delicious pudding is baking. Once it is golden and cooked through I like to dust over icing sugar and then serve warm with cream, ice cream or even custard. I’m sure your family will love this easy recipe as much as mine does.
More easy dessert recipes to try:
Check out the easy recipe below:
Hot cross bun bread and butter pudding
Yield 6 serves
- 6 hot cross buns
- 30g butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C fanbake. Grease a large bowl with butter.
- Slice hot cross buns 1 cm thick and spread each piece with butter. Arrange slices side by side in the bowl.
- In a seperate bowl whisk together eggs, milk, cream, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla then pour over the hot cross buns.
- Leave to soak for 10 minutes before putting it in to the oven.
- Bake for 35 mins until golden and cooked through.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve with ice cream or custard.