Diced courgette sautéed with onion, garlic and frozen peas then served with lemon juice, fresh mint and ricotta. An excellent side dish to serve with your favourite main meal.
I first made this Pea, Courgette and Ricotta dish to fill a gap in our Christmas Day menu. While peas taste lovely on their own, why not zhuzh them up a little with some fresh herbs, lemon and creamy ricotta? I promise everyone will enjoy the slight elevation!
If you're looking for more great side dishes, check out the ever-growing Side Dishes category on the website.
- Peas: I used baby peas while making this recipe, simply because that's what I had in the freezer! Regular frozen peas or minted peas would both work too.
- Courgette: This is a great recipe to use up seasonal courgette while they are abundant in the supermarket or in your garden.
- Ricotta: If you're not a fan of ricotta, either leave this out or swap for feta or goat cheese.
Note: Scroll to the recipe card for the ingredients, quantities and the full method.
Step by step instructions:
Place a large frying pan over a gentle heat. Add the butter, olive oil and onions. Gently sauté until translucent.
Add the garlic and courgette then gently cook for 5-10 minutes until just starting to colour.
Add the thawed peas and lemon zest to the pan. Season generously with salt and pepper then gently stir everything together.
Remove from the heat and transfer to a serving dish. Squeeze over the lemon juice. Dot the ricotta over the top, sprinkle over the fresh mint, then serve immediately as a side dish.
Eggplant, asparagus or capsicum would be good replacements for courgette. If you're making this in winter, you could use broccoli or leek instead.
In this dish, you could easily replace the ricotta with feta or goat's cheese.
Yes! All of the ingredients are gluten free. As always, check the labels on any factory processed food to ensure there hasn't been any cross-contamination.
Store any leftover Pea, Courgette and Ricotta in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave until piping hot.
This meal is best served immediately. If you leave it too long between cooking the peas and serving them, they can wilt and discolour over time.
Made this recipe?
Please click on the stars below to rate it or, write a review!
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 courgette, diced
- 500g frozen peas, thawed
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place a large frying pan over a gentle heat. Add the butter, olive oil and onions. Gently sauté until translucent.
- Add the garlic and courgette then gently cook for 5-10 minutes until just starting to colour.
- Add the thawed peas and lemon zest to the pan. Season generously with salt and pepper then gently stir everything together.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a serving dish.
- Squeeze over the lemon juice. Dot the ricotta over the top, sprinkle over the fresh mint, then serve immediately as a side dish.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 75Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 76mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.
Thank you for checking out this recipe. I hope you enjoy making and eating it! If you have any questions, queries or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment below.
If you don't already follow me, head over to my Instagram or Facebook pages to keep up to date with all my new recipes.