The perfect side dish to bring to the table, these oven roasted garlic mushrooms are big on flavour and so good for you. Easy to make using simple ingredients, this humble dish will elevate your next shared meal.
If you're having a lot of people over for a shared meal, it can be helpful to have a few good side dishes up your sleeve. Common go-to's are green veg and potatoes, but have you considered the humble mushroom?
Full of excellent antioxidants and a good source of low calorie fibre, Baked Garlic Mushrooms are a great choice to bulk out a meal.
- Mushrooms: I've used white button mushrooms in this recipe. You could also use brown button mushrooms (known as cremini) or portobello mushrooms.
- Garlic: For best results, use fresh garlic which has a stronger flavour than store-bought crushed garlic.
- Thyme: The herb with little leaves that has big flavours. If you grow your own, feel free to use more.
Note: Scroll to the recipe card for the ingredients, quantities and the full method.
Step by step instructions:
Preheat oven to 200°C fan bake.
Place the mushrooms into a large baking dish. Pour over olive oil, then add the diced garlic and thyme leaves. Mix to combine.
Place the cubes of butter evenly over the mushrooms. Sprinkle over the sea salt then bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
Use tongs to turn and coat mushrooms in the butter and garlic. Bake for a further 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving dish, scatter over extra fresh thyme and serve.
White button, brown button and portobello are all common mushrooms in New Zealand.
Fresh garlic is best for a recipe where you want a lot of flavour. Jarred garlic is a more subtle in flavour.
Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to three days.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
Made this recipe?
Please click on the stars below to rate it!
- 800g white button mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- Handful of fresh thyme leaves
- 50g butter, cubed
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan bake.
- Place the mushrooms into a large baking dish. Pour over olive oil, then add the diced garlic and thyme leaves. Mix to combine.
- Place the cubes of butter evenly over the mushrooms. Sprinkle over the sea salt then bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Use tongs to turn and coat mushrooms in the butter and garlic. Bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving dish, scatter over extra fresh thyme and serve.
- To prepare, brush off any dirt from your mushrooms and trim the ends if they are brown.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 7 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 144Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 215mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.
Thank you for checking out this recipe. I hope you enjoy making and eating it! If you have any questions, queries or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment below.
If you don't already follow me, head over to my Instagram or Facebook pages to keep up to date with all my new recipes.