This recipe for ginger crunch is so easy and you can make it with or without the crystallised ginger on top.
It seems like ginger crunch is everyone’s favourite slice! My version has a delicious oaty base and a thick layer of ginger icing on top. Check out the easy recipe below.
Here are the ingredients to make this classic Kiwi slice, it is so nice to be able to make it at home. I’m sure it won’t last long though because it only last about two days in my house.
First of all you mix together the dry ingredients: flour, brown sugar, rolled oats, coconut and ground ginger. Then you add the melted butter and mix until it is all incorporated.
After that pour the mixed base ingredients into a lined baking tray, smooth it out to the edges and bake for 15-20 minutes until it becomes a light golden colour.
While the base is baking it is time to make the delicious ginger icing. Melt together the butter and golden syrup in the microwave or on the stovetop and add it to the icing sugar and ginger. Stir to combine it all together and it will become thick tasty ginger icing. If you want to use the crystallised ginger then chop it in to small pieces.
Pour the ginger icing over the warm base then scatter over the chopped ginger. Let it cool for about 20 minutes on the bench then transfer it to the fridge to cool completely.
Once it has cooled completely use a large sharp knife to chop it into pieces. Store your slice in an airtight container in the fridge or in a cool dark place.
MORE EASY SLICE RECIPES TO TRY:
CLICK HERE TO PIN THIS POST TO YOUR BAKING BOARD ON PINTEREST TO SAVE IT FOR LATER
Just the right amount of crunchy base and ginger icing
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 160g (6oz) butter, melted
- 1½ cups icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 125g (4oz) butter
- 2 Tbsp golden syrup
- 70g (3oz) crystallised ginger, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160°C fanbake and line a tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, ginger and brown sugar.
- Add rolled oats, coconut and butter then mix together.
- Pour into tray and smooth out, then press with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until light golden.
- Mix together icing sugar and ginger, melt butter and golden syrup then add to icing sugar, stir well.
- Pour icing onto warm base and spread out, top with crystallised ginger.
- Let it cool for about 20 minutes on the bench then transfer it to the fridge to cool completely.
- Once it has cooled completely use a large sharp knife to chop it into pieces.
- Store your slice in an airtight container in the fridge or in a cool dark place.
Here is the step-by-step video from my Facebook page