Golden, oven-baked chicken cooked in a sweet & tangy marinade. Honey Soy Chicken Drumsticks are great for a BBQ or potluck.
My Honey and Soy Chicken Drumsticks are super tasty and easy to make. Marinade (overnight if you have the time), then bake for 35 minutes. Too easy. These make a delicious weeknight dinner or a great sharing plate at a BBQ or family gathering. They also taste great, cold, the next day.
Made with mostly pantry staples, this recipe proves yet again you don't need fancy ingredients for delicious tasting food! You could also substitute the drumsticks for chicken wings for a party.
How to make Honey soy chicken drumsticks:
Firstly, make the marinade by whisking together the soy sauce, mustard, honey, garlic and sweet chilli sauce in a large dish. Add the chicken, coating it in the sauce, then marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
When you are ready to cook, preheat the oven to 200°C fanbake. Lay the chicken on a lined baking tray and cook for 30 minutes.
Brush extra sauce from the tray over the drumsticks, sprinkle on sesame seeds then bake for 5 more minutes until golden. Serve with coleslaw and hot, baked potatoes filled with butter and sour cream.
Common questions about Honey Soy Chicken Drumsticks:
Can you eat chicken drumsticks cold? Yes! Leftover chicken drumsticks can be eaten the next day if kept covered, in the refrigerator.
Can I substitute the wholegrain mustard? No worries. While wholegrain mustard gives the marinade a lovely texture but you could swap it out for a mild mustard if you prefer. I would use 2 teaspoons instead of tablespoons if using regular mustard.
Pin this post to your dinners board on Pinterest and save it for later
If you want to make this recipe gluten free: Always check the label on processed foods, including sauce bottles.
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 8 chicken drumsticks (900g)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce (60ml)
- 2 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 4 baked potatoes
- Butter & sour cream
- Whisk together soy sauce, mustard, honey, garlic and sweet chilli sauce in a large dish.
- Add chicken drumsticks and coat in the sauce. Marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.(Marinate the chicken in the sauce overnight for extra flavour and so you are super organised for dinner the next day.)
- When you are ready to cook - preheat oven to 200°C fanbake.
- Lay chicken on a lined baking tray and bake for 30 minutes.
- Brush any extra sauce from the tray over the drumsticks and sprinkle over sesame seeds. Bake for 5 more minutes until chicken is golden and cooked through.
- Serve with coleslaw and hot baked potatoes filled with butter and sour cream.
Always check the label on processed foods, including sauce bottles, to ensure they are completely gluten free.
- I like to bake my potatoes wrapped in tin foil for approx 80 minutes at 200°C. So remember to add them to the oven 40 minutes before the chicken drumsticks.
- The drumsticks could also be served on rice with steamed, or stir-fried green vegetables.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 518Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 243mgSodium: 1242mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 5gSugar: 12gProtein: 50g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.