Golden pieces of salty haloumi mixed with creamy avocado, cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion and iceberg lettuce, all coated in a homemade honey mustard dressing.
If there's one thing I've learnt in all my years of food blogging, it's that my readers love haloumi! Time to give the people what they really want with this easy and tasty Haloumi and Avocado Salad. Mixed with fresh, garden-salad ingredients and an easy honey-mustard dressing, this salad could easily be a main meal.
On the other hand, if you like a little meat with your haloumi, you can't go past my popular recipe for Lamb and Haloumi Wraps.
- Haloumi: Not all haloumi is created equally! Depending on the brand, some haloumi is more likely to stick to the pan in which case, I would recommend frying it in 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Dressing: I love the combination of this honey mustard dressing with this salad. As always, feel free to use store-bought, or use your own favourite.
- Lettuce: Iceberg lettuce has gone out of fashion in recent years. I love the crunchy texture it adds to this salad. But again, feel free to use mesclun, spinach, cos etc.
Note: Scroll to the recipe card for the ingredients, quantities and the full method.
Step by step instructions:
Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing, and then set aside until ready to use.
To make the salad, add the lettuce, tomatoes, and red onion to the base of a large serving platter. Pour over some of the dressing and mix to combine.
Thinly slice the haloumi then cut into bite size pieces. Cook in a large non-stick frying pan for a few minutes on each side until golden.
Chop up the avocado and arrange on top of the salad with the warm haloumi. Scatter over the basil and pour over extra dressing just before serving.
This salad will keep well for three days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Yes! If you want to use this recipe for meal prep, leave the dressing in a separate container and dress just before eating.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
As always, use my recipe as a guide. If you have an abundance of salad veggies in your garden or fridge that need using up, of course you can add them in!
Made this recipe?
Please click on the stars below to rate it or, write a review!
Haloumi and Avocado Salad
Fresh, garden-salad ingredients topped with creamy avocado and salty, fried haloumi, finished with a honey-mustard dressing.
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 200g cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ red onion, finely sliced
- 200g Haloumi
- Handful of fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing, and then set aside until ready to use.
- To make the salad, add the lettuce, tomatoes, and red onion to the base of a large serving platter. Pour over some of the dressing and mix to combine.
- Thinly slice the haloumi then cut into bite size pieces. Cook in a large non-stick frying pan for a few minutes on each side until golden.
- Chop up the avocado and arrange on top of the salad with the warm haloumi.
- Scatter over the basil and pour over extra dressing just before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 465Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 413mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 8gSugar: 7gProtein: 14g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.
Thank you for checking out this recipe. I hope you enjoy making and eating it! If you have any questions, queries or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment below.
If you don't already follow me, head over to my Instagram or Facebook pages to keep up to date with all my new recipes.
Leave a Reply