These soft and chewy Halloween Spider Cookies are so much fun to make. Kids love to help with the decorating.
How cute are these Halloween Spider Cookies? They're my favourite kind of baking to share. Easy to make, taste amazing and they look super impressive as well. The perfect plate to bring to your kindy, school or community Halloween celebrations.
The cookie dough is made from pantry staples and makes deliciously soft cookies. You could decorate these with any of your favourite lollies including M&Ms, liquorice, chocolate buttons etc. Our kids love to help out with this!
How to make Spider Cookies:
Begin by making the cookie dough. Melt the butter in the microwave then add in the brown and white sugar, egg and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Sift the dry ingredients into the mixture then fold everything together until combined. If the mixture is quite warm and soft: chill it in the fridge or freezer until it is cool enough to roll into balls and hold the shape.
Scoop the dough into balls using approximately 2 tablespoon of mixture. (Or use a size 40mm cookie dough scoop.) Roll the dough balls in your hands until they are smooth. Place on a lined baking tray and push down slightly. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden, but soft in the centre. Then remove from the oven.
While the cookies are warm, push two Maltesers into each one. After 10 minutes, remove from the tray to a wire rack to cool. Melt the chocolate then add to a small ziplock bag. Cut a tiny hole in the corner then pipe 8 legs onto each spider. Using white icing, add two dots for the eyes then small dots of chocolate for the eyeballs.
For more delicious cookie recipes be sure to check out my Weetbix Chocolate Chip Cookies and my Caramilk Chunk Cookies, both are soft and chewy!
These cookies also make excellent chocolate chip cookies. Just mix in a cup of chocolate chips or chopped chocolate after the dry ingredients and before refrigerating. You could also add in your favourite nuts or dried fruit if you like.
These cookies keep really well in airtight container for up to 1 week. You can freeze the cookie dough balls in a snap-lock bag for up to 3 months.
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
Halloween Spider Cookies
Delicious, chewy cookies with a fun chocolate spider on top!
- 150g butter
- ½ cup brown sugar (100g)
- ½ cup white sugar (110g)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups plain flour (300g)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp cornflour
- 140g bag Maltesers
- 100g dark chocolate, melted
- 1 small tube white icing
- In a large glass bowl melt butter in the microwave for 30 to 50 seconds.
- Whisk, then add the brown and white sugar, egg and vanilla. Mix everything together until smooth with no lumps.
- Sift flour, salt, baking soda and cornflour over the bowl then fold everything together until combined. The dough will be very soft but thick. If the mixture is quite warm and soft: chill it in the fridge or freezer until it is cool enough to roll into balls.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C fanbake.
- Roll the dough into balls about 2 tablespoons (30-40g) each and place on a lined baking tray. Push down slightly.
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes until turning golden on the outside but still very soft in the centre. Remove from the oven.
- While the cookies are still warm push two Maltesers into each one. Remove from the tray after 10 minutes to a wire rack too cool.
- Melt the chocolate then add to a small ziplock bag. Cut a tiny hole in the corner of the bag.
- Pipe 4 chocolate legs to each side.
- Use some white icing to add two dots for the eyes then add a small dots of chocolate inside each eye to make eyeballs.
- Once the chocolate legs and eyes have hardened the cookies are ready to serve.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- You can use a size 40mm cookie dough scoop.
- To make chocolate chip cookies, add a cup of chocolate chips to the mixture and combine well before refrigerating.
- You could also use candy eyeballs - available from specialty cooking stores.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 156mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.
Leave a Reply