A fresh and flavoursome Greek Salad made from seasonal cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onions, olives and feta coated in a homemade herby dressing. The perfect summer side dish.
The premise of a Greek Salad is pretty simple. However, the key to a great Greek salad (in my opinion) is the dressing! Zingy and herby with plenty of olive oil, this dressing ties everything together without overpowering the beautiful fresh vegetables.
- Cherry tomatoes: Whether they come from your garden, or the supermarket, fresh tomatoes taste amazing at their peak in mid-summer. I love cherry tomatoes, but any type would work in this recipe.
- Cucumber: Another beautiful summer vegetable to use while in season.
- Olives: If you or your loved ones don't like olives, feel free to leave them out. Kalamata olives, pitted black olives or even green olives would all work well in this recipe.
Note: Scroll to the recipe card for the ingredients, quantities and the full method.
Step by step instructions:
Dressing: In a small bowl or jug, mix together all the dressing ingredients. Set aside.
Salad: Add all the salad ingredients to a bowl. Toss to combine. Pour over the desired amount of dressing. Stir through.
Transfer to a salad bowl and add a little crumbled feta to the top. Serve as a side dish.
As the name suggest, Greek Salad originated in Greece where it is also known as "Horiatiki". It is a popular salad made with fresh ingredients typically found in Mediterranean cuisine, but available across the world.
You can add or substitute other vegetables such as radishes, lettuce, or artichoke hearts, capers or anchovies. Feel free to adjust the dressing and seasoning according to your taste.
Traditionally, Greek Salad ingredients are gluten free. As always, check the labels on your feta and any dressing ingredients to ensure they are gluten free. This salad can be made dairy free by omitting the feta cheese, or using a vegan cheese alternative.
Store any leftover Greek salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
Greek salad is best when served fresh, as the flavours of the ingredients blend together nicely. However, you can prepare the components in advance and assemble the salad just before serving. Keep the vegetables and dressing separate and store them in the refrigerator. Combine them when you're ready to eat to maintain the crispness of the vegetables.
Made this recipe?
Please click on the stars below to rate it or, write a review!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 large cucumber, chopped
- 250g cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olives
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 100g feta, crumbled
- Dressing: In a small bowl or jug, mix together all the dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Salad: Add all the salad ingredients to a bowl. Toss to combine.
- Pour over the desired amount of dressing. Stir through.
- Transfer to a salad bowl and add a little crumbled feta to the top.
- Serve as a side dish.
- Store any extra dressing in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 87Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 342mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.
Thank you for checking out this recipe. I hope you enjoy making and eating it! If you have any questions, queries or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment below.
If you don't already follow me, head over to my Instagram or Facebook pages to keep up to date with all my new recipes.