A lovely chowder made from corn, potatoes and vegetable stock. A great meal for Sunday lunch.
I love a good chowder and this Corn and Potato Chowder is a great vegetarian meal to get into your rotation. The perfect texture of the soup is achieved by blending a portion of it before adding it back into the pot.
Either fresh, frozen or canned corn can be used in this recipe. I used frozen corn because I made it in winter and I had it in the freezer!
How to make Corn and potato chowder:
Melt the butter in a large pot then add the onion and celery. Saute on a low heat for 5 minutes then stir through the mixed herbs and paprika.
Add the frozen corn and diced potato, then pour in the stock.
Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Pour in the cream and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Scoop 3 cups of the soup out and into a blender. Blend until smooth then add back to the pot. This gives it a great texture and thickens up the soup.
Serve immediately with chopped chives to garnish.
Common questions and tips for Corn chowder:
Can this soup be frozen? Absolutely. This chowder can be frozen in an airtight container for up to three months.
Can I make this soup without a blender? Yes, you could also use a stick blender or even a potato masher to make part of the soup smooth.
- Take care when blending the soup. Some blenders won’t take hot liquids so allow to cool slightly first.
- When removing the lid, be careful of any steam.
Pin this post to your dinners board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 celery sticks, finely diced
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1⁄2 tsp paprika
- 4 cups frozen corn, 500g
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced, 550g
- 1L vegetable stock (or chicken)
- 1⁄2 cup cream, 125ml
- Chives to serve
- Melt butter in a large pot then add the onion and celery. Sauté on a low heat for five minutes. Then stir in the mixed herbs and paprika.
- Add the frozen corn and diced potatoes to the pot, then pour over the stock and stir.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat down to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and cooked through. Stir every few minutes.
- Pour in the cream and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Scoop 3 cups of the soup out and into a blender. Blend until smooth then pour the blended soup back into the pot.
- Serve immediately with chopped chives to garnish.
- Take care when blending the soup. Some blenders won’t take hot liquids so allow to cool slightly first. When removing the lid, be careful of any steam.
- Soup can be frozen in an airtight container for up to three months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 516mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 6g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.