This Belgian Slice is a twist on the classic biscuit recipe. A spiced melt and mix base, topped with pink raspberry icing.
This yummy Belgian Slice is a great afternoon pick-me up or the perfect treat to take along to coffee with a group of friends! It has a simple melt and mix baked base so it is super fast to make.
How to make my Belgian slice:
To start off mix the melted butter, sugar and golden syrup together then add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Pour into a lined baking tray and bake for 20 minutes.
While the slice is baking, whisk the jelly crystals and boiling water together. Then add the jam, sift in the icing sugar and stir all the ingredients together to combine. It comes out the most beautiful pink colour.
Ice the base while still warm then sprinkle over extra jelly crystals. Put slice into the fridge until the icing has set, then slice with a large sharp knife.
When it comes to kiwi classics, I have a lot of recipes up my sleeve! Other super popular recipes include my Chocolate Weetbix Slice, ANZAC Biscuits, Berry Pavlova, Rice Bubble Slice and Lolly Cake! A great roundup can be found here in my Classic Kiwi Party Food post.
Common questions about Belgian Slice:
What size tin should I use? My tin is 27 x 18cm.
How long will this slice keep for? This slice can be kept for up to 4 days in an airtight container in the pantry, making it a convenient make ahead treat!
Pin this post to your Slices board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 175g butter, melted (6oz)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp golden syrup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1½ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp mixed spice
- 3 Tbsp raspberry jelly crystals
- 2 Tbsp boiling water
- 3 Tbsp raspberry jam
- 2 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan bake.
- In a large bowl whisk together melted butter, brown sugar and golden syrup. Add the egg and mix again.
- Sift in flour, baking powder, cinnamon and mixed spice. Fold through all of the ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Pour mixture into a lined baking tray and bake in the oven for 20 minutes
- To make the icing: Add 2 tablespoons of jelly crystals to a bowl then add the boiling water and whisk together. Add the raspberry jam and whisk again.
- Sift in icing sugar and stir all of the ingredients together to combine.
- Ice the base while still warm then sprinkle over 1 tablespoon of jelly crystals.
- Put slice into the fridge until the icing has set then slice with a large sharp knife. Store in an airtight container in the pantry for up to 4 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 233Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 112mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.