This baked chicken risotto is so easy because the oven does all the work for you, my young sons love this family favourite.
This baked chicken bacon and pea risotto is one of my favourite family dinners. The combination of the chicken and bacon go so well together and the peas give it a nice touch of green to finish it off.
This risotto is baked in the oven so it takes the hassle out of standing at the stove and stirring the whole time like you would with a standard risotto.
How to make baked chicken risotto:
I like to use chicken thighs for this recipe because they stay nice and moist once cooked and won’t dry, but you can use chicken breast if you prefer.
You start this recipe on the stove top by sautéing onion and garlic then frying the bacon and chicken until browned. You don’t need to cook the chicken all the way through as it will cook again in the oven with rice.
This risotto only needs to be stirred once halfway through cooking. I finish it off with butter, parmesan and then the peas, garnish with parsley and extra grated parmesan.
You can put your own spin to this recipe by adding different meat or protein, in the photo below I have left out the chicken and bacon and added prawns and peas. You could also make it vegetarian and use mushrooms, just brown them at the start in place of the bacon and chicken.
For the prawn version I just placed the raw prawns on top of the risotto and put them under the grill for the last 10 minutes of cooking, until they were pink and cooked through.
Common questions about baked chicken risotto:
Can I add other vegetables? Yes definitely, if you want to add mushrooms do so at the beginning with the onions. If you want to add rocket, spinach or other greens I would add these at the end and stir through with the butter.
What is arborio rice? Arborio is an Italian short-grain rice. Because it is a high-starch grain, it is ideal for making creamy risottos.
Click here to pin this post to your dinner ideas board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 bacon rashers, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 chicken thighs, sliced thinly
- 1½ cups of arborio rice
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 25g of butter
- ½ cup of grated parmesan
- 1 cup of peas, thawed
- 1 handful of Italian parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- In an ovenproof dish sauté onion in oil for a few minutes, add bacon and brown.
- Add crushed garlic and chicken thighs then stir until chicken has browned.
- Add rice and pour stock in slowly while stirring it all together, cover and put into oven.
- Cook for 35 minutes stirring once halfway through cooking.
- Remove from oven then add butter, parmesan and peas. Gently fold together until butter has melted.
- Season to taste, garnish with parsley and more parmesan.
- You can swap out the chicken and bacon for other protein if you prefer, prawns work really well.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 478Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 143mgSodium: 760mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 34g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.