A fresh summer salad made with rice noodles, vegetables, sliced chicken breast and a Thai style dressing.
I don't know about you, but I like to make the summer holidays last as long as possible. As the new year creeps along and I have to start buying stationery and booking after school activities... I'm adamant there's one place summer will keep going. In my kitchen!
In our house, summer cooking tends to mean a lot more salads and BBQs, fresh produce and lighter meals. If you also like ticking those boxes, you're going to love my easy, tasty and affordable recipe for Thai Chicken Noodle Salad.
I created this recipe in partnership with my favourite supermarket, Countdown. Countdown always has an excellent range of fresh seasonal produce for me to choose from.
In addition, I can buy almost all of my pantry staples, from sauces to baking ingredients directly from Countdown's Own Brand range. Countdown's Own Brand range is not only affordable, but uses local growers and producers where possible.
What I also love about this yummy meal, is how easily it can become lunch for the next day. Kids and adults alike can eat this nutritious salad cold the next day, ideally with a little dressing drizzled over just before serving. Too easy.
How to make Thai Chicken Noodle Salad:
Slice the three chicken breasts in half horizontally so that you have 6 thinner chicken breasts as per the picture below.
Season well, then cook in a hot frying pan for 5 minutes each side or until cooked through. Set aside to rest.
Mix the dressing ingredients together, then chill until ready to serve.
Add the noodles to a large bowl, then pour over the boiling water. Leave to cook for 10 minutes, then drain. Add to a large bowl and stir through the sesame oil.
Add the prepared vegetables and half of the dressing to the bowl. Mix everything together with tongs then pour onto a large serving platter or into individual bowls.
Slice the cooked chicken and arrange on top of the salad. Scatter over the roasted peanuts.
Drizzle extra dressing over the salad just before serving. Leave the rest of the dressing in a jug for each person to add to their dinner as desired.
This yummy recipe was created after the popularity of my Thai Beef Salad. For other great Asian-inspired salads, check out my recipes for Steak Salad with Miso Dressing, Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Salad and Sticky Asian Beef.
Questions for Thai Chicken Noodle Salad:
Does this meal make for good leftovers? Absolutely! If you are making this for lunch meal prep then add the undressed salad to an airtight container, place the chicken breast on top and scatter over the peanuts. Add the dressing to a small portable dressing container then pour over the salad just before serving. This prevents the salad from becoming soggy.
What substitutions could I make? Pad Thai noodles could be substituted for Vermicelli. You could use leftover shredded or roast chicken if you have it on hand. Peanuts could be used instead of cashews and any of your favourite seasonal vegetables could be added or substituted.
AD – Thanks so much to Countdown for partnering with me to create this recipe.
Pin this post to your Salads board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 1 kg chicken breast
- 200g dried pad Thai rice noodles
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 100g snow peas, thinly sliced
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- ½ cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- ¼ cup mint leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts, crushed
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 Tbsp running honey or brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp crushed ginger
- Slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally so that you have six thin pieces. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Heat a frying pan or BBQ to a high heat and cook chicken for 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Set aside to rest.
- Make the dressing by whisking all of the ingredients together in a small jug, chill in the fridge until ready to use.
- Add the noodles to a large bowl and pour over boiling water. Leave to sit for 8-10 minutes until cooked through. Drain then add to a large bowl and stir through sesame oil.
- Add the prepared vegetables, snow peas, spring onion, cucumber, red pepper, carrot and mint leaves. Add half of the dressing then use tongs to mix everything together. Pour into a serving dish or divide between bowls.
- Slice cooked chicken into thin strips and arrange on top of the salad. Scatter over the roasted peanuts.
- Drizzle extra dressing over the top just before serving. Leave the rest in a jug on the side so each person can add extra to their bowls.
- If you are making this for lunch meal prep then add the undressed salad to an airtight container, place the chicken breast on top and scatter over the peanuts. Add the dressing to a small portable dressing container then pour over the salad just before serving. This prevents the salad from becoming soggy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 554Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 203mgSodium: 1568mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 3gSugar: 12gProtein: 72g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.