Fresh, raw broccoli mixed with sweet cranberries, toasted pine nuts, spring onion and crispy bacon bits. All tossed together in a creamy homemade dressing. A crowd-favourite salad for your next BBQ.
Broccoli is one of those ingredients I regularly put in my trolley, without any real plans on how I'll use it. It is such a versatile ingredients and often gets added to one of my amazing Stir Fry recipes.
But have you tried it raw? This recipe for Raw Broccoli Salad will prove to you broccoli does not need to be cooked to be enjoyed. Trust me when I say, this salad gets rave reviews every time I share it at a pot luck dinner or BBQ.
- Broccoli: Readily available for most of the year, broccoli is a staple supermarket item for so many families.
- Mayonnaise: My all-time favourite brand of mayonnaise is Best Foods.
- Pine nuts: These are such a lovely addition to any salad. If you can't find them, or simply find them unaffordable, you could toast your favourite seeds instead for some crunch.
Note: Scroll to the recipe card for the ingredients, quantities and the full method.
Step by step instructions:
Set aside a teaspoon of cranberries and pine nuts to garnish.
Combine the chopped broccoli, spring onion, cranberries and pine nuts in a salad bowl.
In a small jug, mix together the dressing ingredients and season well with salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and mix to combine.
Sprinkle over the reserved cranberries, pine nuts and crispy bacon.
Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. This salad can be made 1 day ahead of time.
Of course! Raw broccoli is even better for you than cooked/steamed broccoli as it retains all of its nutrients. When you chop the broccoli small enough, you are left with bite sized pieces of crunchy vegetable in a tasty dressing.
1-2 hours would be the maximum time to leave this salad out of the fridge. This will help to prevent the dairy from spoiling, especially on a hot summer's day.
This salad could be made a day ahead. Simply store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Leftovers will keep well in the fridge for up to three days from the day they were made.
To make this salad vegetarian, simply leave out the bacon bits. Or, leave them on the side as an optional garnish.
Made this recipe?
Please click on the stars below to rate it or, write a review!
Raw Broccoli Salad
A tasty and easy salad made from raw broccoli, spring onion, cranberries, pine nuts and a homemade dressing.
- 70g cranberries
- 70g pine nuts, toasted
- 2 heads of broccoli, finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 125g greek yoghurt
- 125g thick mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Crispy bacon to serve, optional
- Set aside a teaspoon of cranberries and pine nuts to garnish.
- Combine the chopped broccoli, spring onion, cranberries and pine nuts in a salad bowl.
- In a small jug, mix together the dressing ingredients and season well with salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and mix to combine.
- Sprinkle over the reserved cranberries, pine nuts and crispy bacon.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. This salad can be made 1 day ahead of time.
- You can swap the pine nuts for toasted almonds or pumpkin seeds
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 186Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 178mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.
Thank you for checking out this recipe. I hope you enjoy making and eating it! If you have any questions, queries or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment below.
If you don't already follow me, head over to my Instagram or Facebook pages to keep up to date with all my new recipes.
Leave a Reply