It's hard to resist this Cheesy Potato Bake, such a delicious side dish with only 4 ingredients.
This super easy Cheesy Potato Bake is my go-to dish to make for family and friends, or when my husband and I feel like a treat. This makes a big batch that serves roughly 8 people as a side dish. It's also perfect to wrap up in tin foil and take along to a family BBQ.
One of the best things about this dish (other than how good it tastes!) is that there are only 4 ingredients in it! When slicing my potatoes, I use my mandolin (hand held slicer) from Chef's Compliments which is fast and accurate. When all the potato slices are the same size they cook at the same rate.
How to make my cheesy potato bake:
Thinly slice the potatoes either by hand or using a mandolin. Mix together the cream and garlic with lots of salt and pepper.
Cover the bottom of an oven proof dish with one layer of potatoes. Sprinkle over some cheese, then pour over some of the creamy mix. Repeat these layers until you have used all of the potatoes slices.
Top the dish with grated cheese then bake in the oven for 80 minutes at 190°C. The dish is ready when the potatoes are cooked and the top is golden.
Common questions about Cheesy Potato Bake:
What type of potatoes should I use? To be honest, this dish is so forgiving you could use any type of potatoes. Having said that, if you can find a good baking or roasting potato it will enhance the dish. Agria potatoes are ideal in New Zealand.
Can I mix up the flavours of this dish? Absolutely! As I mentioned above, this dish is forgiving! You could try adding in paprika, your favourite herbs, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced onions etc. This is a great base for you to be creative with.
Pin this post to your savoury board on Pinterest and save it for later
If you want to make this recipe gluten free: Always check the label on processed foods, including sauce bottles.
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 1kg potatoes, peeled
- 100g cheese, grated
- 1.5 cups of cream and/or milk
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Thinly slice the potatoes.
- Mix the cream and/or milk, garlic together with lots of salt and pepper.
- Place a thin layer of potatoes on the base of an oven proof dish. Sprinkle with cheese and dollops of the creamy mix.
- Repeat these layers using all of the potatoes.
- Bake for 80 minutes until the potatoes are cooked and the top is golden.
Always check the label on processed foods, including sauce bottles, to ensure they are completely gluten free.
- You can either use all cream, or all milk depending on what you have or how healthy you want to make this dish. I make a half and half mixture using ¾ cup of milk and ¾ cup of cream.
- You can use you favourite type of cheese in this dish. I like to use Colby which melts well.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 124mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.