These crispy tuna cakes are super easy to make and served with a zesty lemon aioli.
I have partnered with John West to create delicious recipes using their new premium range of Deli Tuna. This recipe for Tuna Cakes with Lemon Aioli is so easy to make and tastes delicious. I chose Zesty Lemon and Italian Herbs flavoured John West Deli Tuna for this recipe because it goes so well with my tangy lemon aioli.
The chunky loin tuna pieces blend perfectly with the mashed potatoes and spring onions to make delicious, comforting tuna cakes. When paired with my creamy lemon aioli, these tasty treats will be devoured whenever you serve them. They are great for dinner, lunch or even as nibbles at a party, just make them a little smaller if feeding a crowd. I like to make the potato mash the night before so it is super quick to whip up these Tuna patties the next day.
How to make tuna cakes with lemon aioli:
To begin, combine all of the patty ingredients (apart from the panko crumbs) in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix well together.
Roll the mixture into approximately 16 balls, coating each ball in panko crumbs as you go. Press the balls down into a patty shape ready for frying. Mine were just under a ¼ cup of mixture each. I used my ice cream scoop to make them all even amounts.
Add a few tablespoon of neutral oil to a large non-stick fry pan and warm to a low to medium heat. Fry the patties in batches for a few minutes either side until golden brown and cooked through. Keep the patties in a warm oven while you cook all the batches. Mix together the ingredients for the lemon aioli and serve with the hot tuna cakes and a fresh salad.
Can I substitute the panko crumbs? Absolutely. If you don't have panko crumbs feel free to use regular dried bread crumbs instead. If you want to make these gluten free, pop a packet of rice crackers in the food processor until they resemble a fine crumb and use these as an alternative.
Thanks so much to John West for partnering with me to create this delicious recipe.
Be sure to check out my recipe for Tuna and Ricotta Baked Pasta Shells, another partnership with John West.
Pin this post to your dinners board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 2 cups mashed potato
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 x 90g tins of John West Deli Tuna - Zesty Lemon & Italian Herbs flavour
- 1 egg
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients apart from the panko crumbs and stir to mix well together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Scoop out the mixture, shape into a ball in your hands then roll in panko crumbs, press the patty down into a round shape. (I used an ice cream scoop, each patty is just under ¼ cup of mixture.)
- Once you have rolled all of the mixture into balls and coated them in the crumbs they are ready to fry. You can either fry straight away or if you want to make them in advance - cover with clingfilm and leave in the fridge until ready to use.
- Add a few tablespoons of neutral oil to a large non-stick frying pan and warm to a low to medium heat.
- Fry the patties in batches for a few minutes on each side until golden and cooked through. You may have to add more oil in between batches. Keep the patties in a warm oven on a low heat while you make the other batches.
- Mix together the ingredients for the lemon aioli and store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Serve hot tuna cakes with fresh salad and lemon aioli.
- These would be great nibbles at a party. Just make them about half the size and arrange on a platter. Keep in a warm oven until ready to serve with the dipping sauce.
- If you don’t have panko crumbs you can easily substitute these for dried breadcrumbs.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 543Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 776mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 24g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR CHECKING OUT MY RECIPE.
FOLLOW ALONG AT MY FACEBOOK PAGE.