Crispy, sticky lemon chicken served with steamed rice and vegetables. A lighter version of the popular takeaway dish.
You'll be amazed at just how easy it is to make my sticky Lemon Chicken. In the time it would take you to head out to your local takeaways and order, you could already be eating this delicious dinner.
Chicken breasts or thighs both work well in this recipe. I go for boneless cuts as they are easier to dice, but feel free to use bone in if you're happy to cut around them! I only use a couple of tablespoons of oil to fry the chicken. This makes it a lot healthier than deep fried versions. Plus you still get a lovely crispy coating.
How to make Lemon Chicken:
Cut your boneless chicken into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl. Add ½ a cup of cornflour (first measurement) and mix until it has coated all the chicken pieces. Add the egg and mix everything together.
In a separate bowl, add the lemon juice, brown sugar, honey, garlic, soy sauce and chicken stock. Whisk to combine. Next, heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan. Add the chicken pieces and fry in batches until crispy on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
Wipe the excess oil from the pan, then add the lemon sauce mixture and simmer for two minutes. Mix 1 tablespoon of cornflour (second measurement) with water until dissolved, then add to sauce. Once it starts to thicken, add the crispy chicken and coat it in the sauce. Serve with steamed rice and vegetables and sprinkle sesame seeds and spring onion on top.
Common questions about Lemon Chicken:
What vegetables could I serve this with? Whatever you like! I like to serve mine with a side of broccoli or green beans. But you could use bok choy, carrot, cauliflower, capsicum, onion, or a combination of whatever you have in the freezer.
Is this better eaten immediately? It is. When served immediately, the chicken remains crispy and gooey at the same time. I would not recommend freezing this meal.
Pin this post to your dinners board on Pinterest and save it for later
If you want to make this recipe gluten free: Always check the label on processed foods, including sauce bottles.
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 600g boneless chicken thigh or breast
- 1⁄2 cup cornflour (1st measurement)
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 75ml fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp garlic, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp cornflour (2nd measurement)
- 50ml water
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Steamed greens and rice to serve
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and add to a large bowl.
- Coat chicken in ½ a cup of cornflour (first measurement) then add the egg and mix together. Set aside while you make the lemon sauce.
- Add lemon juice, brown sugar, honey, garlic, soy sauce and chicken stock to a bowl and whisk together.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large frying pan. Add chicken pieces and fry in batches until crispy on both sides. Remove from frying pan and set aside.
- Wipe the excess oil out of the frying pan. Add lemon sauce mixture and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of cornflour (second measurement) with 50ml water until dissolved then add to the sauce.
- Once it starts to thicken, add the crispy chicken. Coat it in the sticky lemon sauce.
- Sprinkle over spring onion and sesame seeds. Serve immediately with hot rice and steamed green vegetables.
Always check the label on processed foods, including sauce bottles, to ensure they are completely gluten free.
- Use a combination of your favourite seasonal or frozen veggies to serve.
- Serve with white rice, brown rice or rice noodles.
- If you find the sauce too sour use less lemon juice or add a tablespoon more of brown sugar.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 474Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 230mgSodium: 1217mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 15gProtein: 43g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.