Creamy shredded chicken is another great slow cooker recipe. Super easy to make while packing a big punch on flavour.
If you've never tried Creamy Shredded Chicken before you are in for a treat! Cooked in the slow cooker for 4 hours, the chicken becomes tender enough to shred and doesn't dry out.
Loosely based on the American dish for creamy buffalo chicken, the main ingredients for this recipe are chicken, chipotle sauce and cream cheese. Chipotle sauce offers a lovely smokey flavour to the meat.
How to make Shredded Chicken:
Add the crushed tomatoes, chipotle sauce, brown sugar, mixed herbs and salt to the slow cooker. Mix to combine.
Add the chicken breast to the slow cooker and coat in the sauce.
Cut the cream cheese into chunks and add it to the slow cooker making sure it doesn't touch the sides.
Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7 hours.
When the chicken is cooked through, shred it in the slow cooker using two forks. Mix the sauce through the shredded chicken.
Serve your creamy chicken in fresh toasted buns with coleslaw, spring onions and cheese.
Burgers are a great meal for kids, as well as feeding a large crowd. For other great burger ideas, check out my recipes for Crispy Fresh Fish Burgers as well as my epic Homemade Big-Mac Style Sauce - which can be served on any type of meat patty.
Common questions and tips for Creamy shredded chicken:
What other ways could I serve this chicken? This versatile chicken recipe can be served on top of pizza, wraps, subs, scrolls, baked potatoes or wedges. I also have an amazing recipe for Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Scrolls that would be perfect for using up leftovers. These are homemade scrolls filled with creamy chicken and topped with cheese!
Can you make it without the cream cheese? Yes if you want a dairy free version or something lighter leave out the cream cheese.
Does this meal freeze well? Yes! Once the creamy chicken has cooled, place it in ziplock bag and freeze for up to three months. Reheat until piping hot.
- I love the taste of chipotle sauce in this meal. If it's too hot for you (or your kids) feel free to leave it out or swap for BBQ sauce.
- I like to spray my slow cooker with an oil spray before adding the ingredients. This makes it easier to clean up at the end.
- The cream cheese could stick and burn if it cooks against the side of the slow cooker.
Pin this post to your dinners board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 1⁄2 can crushed tomatoes, 200g
- 2 Tbsp chipotle sauce, optional
- 1 Tbsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1kg chicken breast
- 250g cream cheese
- Cheese slices
- Spring onion
- Add the crushed tomatoes, chipotle sauce, brown sugar, mixed herbs and salt to the slow cooker. Mix to combine.
- Add the chicken breast to the slow cooker and coat in the sauce.
- Cut the cream cheese into chunks and add to the slow cooker making sure it doesn’t touch the sides.
- Cook on high for 4+ hours or low for 7+ hours.
- When the chicken is cooked through, shred it in the slow cooker using two forks. Mix the sauce through the shredded chicken.
- Serve your chicken in fresh toasted buns with coleslaw, spring onions and cheese.
- I like to spray my slow cooker with oil spray before adding the ingredients. This makes it easier to clean at the end.
- I used chipotle sauce but you can use your favourite hot sauce or BBQ sauce. Or leave it out if you don’t want any spice.
- Freeze any leftover shredded chicken in ziplock bags or airtight containers for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 506Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 190mgSodium: 812mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 57g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.