Pulled chicken cooked in a Honey BBQ Sauce. Such a versatile dish that can be served multiple ways and freezes well.
In recent years, pulled pork has become increasingly popular. But did you know you can achieve a similar result with chicken? My recipe for Honey BBQ Pulled Chicken is made using chicken breast which means it cooks in half the time as a large cut of meat.
Because the chicken breast is slow-baked in the BBQ sauce, it remains tender and moist. Perfect for wraps, on pizza, with rice or on a baked potato. This recipe makes enough for 8 portions and is ideal for freezing.
How to make Honey BBQ Pulled Chicken:
Start by preheating the oven to 180°C fanbake. Mix together the tomatoes, BBQ sauce, honey, garlic, hickory sauce and salt in a large ovenproof dish. Add chicken breast, coat in sauce then bake, covered for 40 minutes.
Remove lid, turn chicken breasts over and bake for a further 40 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Take dish out of the oven and remove the chicken onto a board. Mix cornflour with water until dissolved then add to the sauce. Turn oven up to 200°C and add dish back to the oven while you shred the chicken.
Shred chicken with forks and stir through the sauce. Add back to the oven uncovered for 10+ minutes to infuse the flavours through the shredded chicken. Serve pulled chicken in wraps, on burgers or on top of baked potatoes.
Common questions about BBQ Pulled Chicken:
How long can I keep this frozen for? This meal will keep well in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 6 months. If you're looking for tips, tricks and ideas on more freezer food, click through to my Freezer Meals Made Easy course page.
What else could I serve this with? This is such a versatile recipe. The chicken could be served in wraps, tacos, on top of a baked potato, on top of wedges, on a pizza, in a burger bun or on steamed rice. Add your favourite seasonal vegetables to the mix for a balanced meal.
Pin this post to your dinners board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 1kg chicken breast
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (400g)
- 1⁄4 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 Tbsp smoked hickory or chipotle sauce (optional)
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp cornflour
- 50ml water
- Wraps or burger buns
- Sliced vegetables
- Grated cheese
- Mayo or aioli
- Preheat oven to 180°C fanbake.
- Mix together tomatoes, BBQ sauce, honey, garlic, hickory sauce and salt in a large oven proof dish.
- Add chicken breasts and coat in the sauce. Bake covered with a lid or tinfoil for 40 minutes.
- Remove lid, turn chicken breasts over and bake uncovered for another 40 minutes until chicken is cooked through and ready to shred.
- Take dish out of the oven and remove the chicken onto a board.
- Mix cornflour with water until dissolved then add to the sauce. Turn oven up to 200.C and add dish back to the oven while you shred the chicken.
- Shred chicken with forks and stir through the sauce. Add back to the oven uncovered for 10+ minutes to infuse the flavours through the shredded chicken.
- Serve pulled chicken in wraps, on burgers or on top of baked potatoes.
- Any leftover pulled chicken can be frozen in an airtight container. Use it later for wraps, burgers, tacos, on top of wedges or a pizza.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 546mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 42g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.