A twist on the traditional rice bubble slice, this version is made with milk chocolate, dried apricots and topped with colourful sprinkles. A fun treat to add to school lunch boxes or birthday parties.
The Kiwi classic, Rice Bubble Slice, is one of the most popular recipes on my website. Here, I offer you a slightly different version with my new recipe for Chocolate Rice Bubble Slice.
Made with the addition of milk chocolate and dried apricots, this crunchy and chewy slice is a real hit with kids (and adults too if I'm honest!). An excellent treat for school lunches or a shared morning tea.
- Chocolate: I love the taste of milk chocolate in this recipe. Feel free to swap this out for white, dark or even Caramilk chocolate if you prefer.
- Dried Apricots: Leave these out if you or kids don't like them. You could also substitute them for dried cranberries.
- Rice Bubbles: The key ingredient! If you want to mix things up, you could use half rice bubbles and half corn flakes in the recipe.
Note: Scroll to the recipe card for the ingredients, quantities and the full method.
Step by step instructions:
In a large pot, melt butter and brown sugar over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
Turn off the heat and break in the chocolate, add the cocoa and stir together until the chocolate has melted.
Add the rice bubbles and apricots then stir until combined.
Pour into a lined 20 x 20cm baking tray and push firmly into the edges. Smooth the top with the back of a metal spoon.
Scatter over the sprinkles then place in the fridge in the tray for at least 1-2 hours until set.
Remove from the fridge once set and use a sharp knife to cut into squares.
Chocolate Rice Bubble Slice will keep well for up to one week in an airtight container.
Standard rice bubbles are not gluten free. They contain gluten in the form of malt syrup which comes from barley. However, there are many gluten free rice bubbles available these days.
Store chocolate rice bubble slice in an airtight container in the fridge or pantry for up to one week.
This slice can also be stored in the freezer for up to three months. Either wrap in cling film, or store in an airtight container.
To make this slice more nutritious, try adding some seeds or nuts to the mixture.
Made this recipe?
Please click on the stars below to rate it!
Chocolate Rice Bubble Slice
Crunchy and chewy, this milk chocolate rice bubble slice is the perfect morning tea treat.
- 120g butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 190g milk chocolate
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 cups rice bubbles
- ¼ cup apricots, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sprinkles, optional
- In a large pot melt butter and brown sugar over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Turn off the heat and break in the chocolate, add the cocoa and stir together until the chocolate has melted.
- Add the rice bubbles and apricots then stir until combined.
- Pour into a lined 20 x 20cm baking tray and push firmly into the edges. Smooth the top with the back of a metal spoon.
- Scatter over the sprinkles then place in the fridge in the tray for at least 1-2 hours until set.
- Remove from the fridge once set and use a sharp knife to cut into squares.
- Feel free to add your favourite dried fruit, nuts or seed to this versatile slice recipe.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 164Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 87mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.
Thank you for checking out this recipe. I hope you enjoy making and eating it! If you have any questions, queries or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment below.
If you don't already follow me, head over to my Instagram or Facebook pages to keep up to date with all my new recipes.
Leave a Reply