Chicken katsu curry is a favourite dinner at our house. Crispy chicken goes so nicely with the traditional Japanese curry sauce.
When I discovered the delicious Golden Curry mix and how easy it was to make Japanese curry at home I was so excited. This is one of the meals I always ordered when I was out at Japanese restaurants and now I know how to make it at home.
How to make Japanese Chicken Katsu Curry:
One trick I love to do when crumbing chicken, pork or fish is to put it into a plastic bag then sprinkle in the flour and shake, then crack in an egg and shake again. (This saves mess and dishes) After that put the panko crumbs on a plate and coat each piece in the panko crumb.
The Golden Curry is easy to make and you can just follow the instructions on the back of the packet if you are confused as to how much water etc and you need to use. There is two different size boxes you can buy 92g or 240g this recipe to serve 4 people uses the smaller packet.
I serve my katsu curry with shredded cabbage, spring onion and a big dose of kewpie mayo, my favourite! If you have any chicken or rice left over it is perfect for making sushi.
I also have a great recipe for Pork Katsu Curry on my website. Just as yummy!
Common questions about Japanese Chicken Katsu Curry:
Could I add in other vegetables? You can add other vegetables to the curry if you want to bulk it up like broccoli, cauliflower and potatoes. I like to keep it traditional and use onions and carrots.
Can this be eaten as leftovers the next day? Sure thing. Make sure you keep the chicken and curry covered in the fridge overnight. Heat to piping hot the next day and add fresh cabbage and mayonnaise to serve.
Pin this post to your Dinners board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 500g chicken breast (2 chicken breasts)
- ¼ cup of flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of panko crumbs
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled & chopped
- 3 cups of boiling water
- 1 packet of Golden Curry mix 92g
- 2 cups of cooked medium grain rice
- 1 cup of shredded cabbage
- 4 tbsp of japanese mayo
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- Cut each chicken breast in half through the centre, place under a piece of baking paper and flatten with a mallet or rolling pin to make it an even thickness.
- Coat chicken in flour, then egg and then panko crumbs.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and fry chicken on each side until golden and cooked through.
- To make the curry sauce: Sauté onion with oil in a large frying pan and stir until soft. Add carrot to the pan.
- Add water and bring to the boil, add 1 packet of golden curry sauce and stir until dissolved. Simmer for 5 minutes and keep stirring. If the curry sauce becomes too thick then add more water.
- Slice the cooked crispy chicken then add it to a bowl on top of the cooked rice, pour over the curry sauce and add cabbage, spring onion and Japanese mayo.
- This can also be eaten the next day. Keep the different components covered in the fridge overnight, then reheat the curry and chicken to piping hot before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 663Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 166mgSodium: 422mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 51g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.