This show-stopping trifle is filled with chocolate brownie, raspberry sauce, fresh strawberries, whipped cream, custard and topped with crumbled flake.
When it comes to Christmas desserts the traditional trifle is at the top of the list. This version is a bit of a twist on the classic – the sponge is swapped for chocolate brownie.
The genius hack I’ve used to make Christmas easy this year is Countdown’s Chocolate Brownie mix ($3) for this trifle. It takes minutes to make by simply mixing with oil and eggs. If it’s baked the day before it means you can assemble the trifle in minutes along with fresh summer berries, fresh cream and custard.
I really rate the taste of this chocolate brownie, my husband said “This is the best trifle I’ve had in my whole life” that is big praise coming from a sweet tooth like him.
You can pick up everything you need this Christmas at Countdown. Another tip to make things easier this Christmas is to use Countdown’s online shopping service to get everything delivered straight to your door to avoid the Christmas rush altogether!
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE BROWNIE TRIFLE:
First of all make the chocolate brownie according to packet instructions. I like to do this to the day before to save time, store in an airtight container overnight then it is ready to slice and add to the trifle.
Next make the simple raspberry sauce, this is done by mixing together raspberries and caster sugar then heating them together in the microwave. Once whisked together set it aside too cool.
Now it’s time to assemble the trifle. Add a layer of raspberry sauce to the bottom of a glass trifle dish. Then place a layer of sliced strawberries, now add the first layer of chopped brownie. The next layers are whipped cream and custard.
Repeat the layers all over again until all of the ingredients are used up. Decorate with the top with fresh raspberries and crumbled flake. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
This is even better if you refrigerate it overnight, the flavours all infuse together which makes it so delicious. Sprinkle over icing sugar and add the fresh raspberries just before serving.
This is the perfect Christmas dessert to feed a crowd I am sure your guests will love it. I also made this for Easter as it is now the family favourite and I topped it with marshmallow easter eggs.
Pin this post to your desserts board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 1 boxed brownie mix, I used Countdown's Own Brand
- 2 eggs
- 80ml vegetable oil or melted butter
- 300g frozen raspberries
- 3 Tbsp caster sugar
- 250g punnet strawberries, sliced
- 500ml cream, whipped to soft peaks
- 600g readymade custard
- 125g punnet raspberries
- 1-2 Flake chocolate bars
- 1 Tbsp icing sugar
- Prepare boxed mix brownie with eggs and oil and bake according to packet instructions. You can do this the day before to save time.
- Once cool cut the brownies into 1 inch squares and set aside in 3 equal piles.
- Raspberry sauce: Add frozen raspberries and caster sugar to a glass jug, microwave on high for 1 minute then stir. Microwave for another minute then stir again. Set aside to cool until ready to assemble.
- To assemble: Place half of the sliced strawberries in the bottom of a trifle dish or large serving bowl.
- Pour over a third of the raspberry sauce. Add the first layer of brownie pieces. Carefully spoon over half of the whipped cream.
- Next add a layer of custard and smooth it to the edges with a spoon. Add another third of raspberry sauce and the second layer of brownies.
- Place the rest of the strawberries on top and the rest of the custard, smooth to the edges.
- Now add the third layer of brownies and the last of the raspberry sauce. Top with the rest of the whipped cream and spread until the top is smooth.
- Decorate with crumbled Flake, fresh raspberries and a sprinkle of icing sugar.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving or preferably overnight.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 367Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 86mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 3gSugar: 14gProtein: 5g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.