Delicious and nutritious, my chocolate, date and Weetbix bliss balls are the perfect healthy sweet treat.
We all need a little pick me up sometimes. These Chocolate, Date and Weetbix Bliss Balls not only taste great but they are full of nutritious nuts and dried fruit. And chocolate for energy! They are super easy to make and there is no baking required. Just blitz and roll.
I used Weetbix in this recipe to really bulk up the mixture to make a big batch. I like to keep them in an airtight container in the fridge so I can grab one when I need a sweet treat. My husband Mike said these were the tastiest bliss balls he had ever eaten and had 5 in the first day – I think it must be the ratio of dark chocolate.
Feel free to get creative with the ingredients too. Substitute in your favourite dried fruit and nuts in similar quantities and if the mixture ever gets too dry, add more coconut cream until it starts to stick.
How to make Weetbix bliss balls:
Begin by adding all the ingredients, except for the coconut cream to a food processor. Make sure the chocolate is in pieces otherwise it won’t blend well.
Blitz everything together until it’s finely ground but you can still see small pieces of chocolate. Pour in coconut cream and blitz again until the mixture starts to bind.
Roll mixture into balls then optional coconut. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks in the fridge.
Common questions about bliss balls:
Can I add in different flavours? For sure! The best thing about bliss balls is how versatile they are. You could add in any of your favourite dried fruit including dried apricots, prunes, cranberries, raisins, sultanas etc. Also any of your favourite type of nuts and seeds including pumpkin, sunflower, flax and chia seeds. You can also swap the dark chocolate for milk or white.
How long do they keep for? These bliss balls will keep well for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container in the fridge.
Pin this post to your healthy snacks board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 150g dark chocolate
- 1 cup pitted dates (120g)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut (70g)
- 1 cup almonds/cashews (130g)
- 4 Weetbix (70g)
- ½ cup coconut cream(125ml)
- Optional extra: ¼ cup dessicated coconut
- Break up dark chocolate pieces and add to a food processor.
- Add dates, coconut, nuts and crush in the Weetbix. Blitz everything together until finely ground but you can still see little bits of dark chocolate.
- Pour in coconut cream and blitz again until the mixture starts to come together.
- Roll mixture into balls. This mixture makes about 25 to 30 balls depending on the size you roll them.
- If using: roll balls in desiccated coconut.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Raw or roasted almonds and cashews will both work - I used a combination. But you could use any nuts or seeds you have on hand. Eg: sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, peanuts, walnuts.
- I used whittakers 50% cocoa but you can use your favourite variety including white or milk chocolate.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 26 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 127Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 48mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.