Crispy, crunchy and fresh, these Pork Lettuce Cups are a delicious and fun dinner.
I really enjoy meals like these Pork Lettuce Cups where you can 'build-your-own' dinner. They're simple to prepare and it means each person can sort themselves out! It's also a great way to get young kids involved at dinner time.
In other good news, this meal is low carb and gluten free*! If you did want to add some carbs, you could also make an epic rice bowl as per my instructions below. If you can't find pork mince you could substitute this for chicken or beef mince.
*Check your sauce bottles to ensure they are gluten free.
How to make Pork Lettuce Cups:
Start by making the pork. Heat oil in a large frying pan, add the pork and fry for 5 minutes, breaking up the mince as you go. Stir in garlic, ginger and diced carrots, then stir fry for three minutes.
Add sesame oil, hoisin, soy and fish sauce then mix through the pork mixture. Stir together for a few minutes until everything is cooked through.
To serve, pile lettuce leaves with pork mixture, bean sprouts, peanuts and spring onion. Add extra toppings of your choice and serve immediately.
Build-you-own dinners are a great option when you have friends and family over. For other great ideas, be sure to check out my recipes for BBQ Fish Tacos, Lamb and Haloumi Wraps, Pulled Pork Bao Buns and Mexican Chicken and Rice.
Common questions about Pork Lettuce Cups:
What type of lettuce should I use? Iceburg lettuce is great for this meal as it is crispy, sturdy and has a natural bowl shape! Cos lettuce would be a good option too.
How can I make a rice bowl instead? Start by placing a layer of cooked rice on the bottom of you bowl. Then layer on chopped lettuce, avocado, pork mix, bean sprouts, chopped peanuts, Japanese mayo and herbs. Serve with a slice of lime. Feel free to add your own flavours to this like sriracha, sweet chilli and coriander.
Pin this post to your Dinners board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
If you want to make this recipe gluten free: Always check the label on processed foods, including sauce bottles.
- 1 tsp oil
- 500g pork mince
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ginger, crushed
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce (60ml)
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 8 lettuce leaves (iceburg or cos)
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts
- 50g bean sprouts
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- Optional extras: Coriander,
- Japanese mayo, Sriracha,
- Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, add pork and fry for 5 minutes break up mince with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in garlic, ginger and diced carrots then stir fry for three minutes.
- Add sesame oil, hoisin, soy and fish sauce then mix through the pork mixture. Stir together for a few minutes until everything is cooked through
- To serve: pile lettuce leaves with pork mixture, bean sprouts, peanuts and spring onion. Add extra toppings of your choice and serve immediately.
- Always check the labels on processed foods, including sauce bottles, to ensure they are completely gluten free.
- Serve in rice bowl topped with the pork mix, avocado, lettuce and bean sprouts. This is a great option if you want to add some carbs. Top with mayo, spring onion and peanuts.
- This recipe would work well with beef or chicken mince too.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 536Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 1249mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 37g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.