This Chicken Stroganoff is made from simple ingredients, but is packed full of flavour. A super easy mid-week meal.
This super easy meal is a twist on the classic, beef stroganoff. Made with beautiful chicken tenderloins and a flavoursome sauce, my Chicken Stroganoff is such a comforting mid-week meal.
If you don’t have tenderloins, you could easily use chicken breast or boneless chicken thighs instead. The key ingredients are the smoked paprika and Worcestershire sauce, they give the sauce the authentic stroganoff flavour. The mushrooms are pretty essential too!
How to make chicken stroganoff:
Firstly, get a large pot of salted water on to the boil. Cook your pasta according to the packet instructions. Then, heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan and cook the onions for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes. Add the chicken tenderloins and cook each side for two minutes until golden brown. Cook off the butter and flour in the centre of the pan before adding the smoked paprika.
Pour in the stock and Worcestershire sauce, stir everything together then bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 more minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Season well with salt and pepper, then stir through the sour cream. Serve immediately on top of the cooked pappardelle pasta. Garnish with chives and extra smoked paprika.
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT chicken stroganoff:
Can I use a different type of pasta? Sure thing. This meal is traditionally made with a wide, flat pasta such as pappardelle or fettuccine. But feel free to serve it on your favourite pasta
Can I freeze this meal? Absolutely. Freeze the chicken stroganoff in an airtight container for up to three months and cook fresh pasta when you re-heat it.
Pin this post to your dinners board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 250g pappardelle pasta
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red or white onion, finely sliced
- 250g button mushrooms, halved
- 500g chicken tenderloins
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 125g sour cream
- 2 Tbsp chives, finely chopped
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions in a large pot of salted boiling water.
- Add olive oil to large non-stick pan and cook onion over a medium heat for a few minutes. Add in the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes longer.
- Add the chicken tenderloins and brown for two minutes on each side.
- Make a space in the centre of the pan and melt the butter, sprinkle over the flour and stir together. Cook off the flour - stirring for one minute.
- Sprinkle over paprika and stir through the onions, mushrooms and chicken.
- Pour in the stock and add the Worcestershire sauce. Stir everything together and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for five minutes, stirring when needed until the chicken is cooked through. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Stir through sour cream and cook until heated through.
- Serve immediately on top of the hot pappardelle pasta and garnish with chives and extra paprika.
- If you can't find pappardelle, you could use fettuccine or even spaghetti as an alternative.
- You can also serve with rice, baked or mashed potato.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 530Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 185mgSodium: 364mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 53g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.