Succulent chicken thighs baked in a flavoursome creamy tomato sauce with mushrooms and thyme. Ready in an hour, serve your baked chicken with freshly mashed potatoes for the ultimate comfort food meal.
You'll find a few chicken and mushroom recipes on my website, and for good reason - they are a winning combo!
This Chicken Mushroom Bake is no exception. Tender and juicy chicken thighs baked in a creamy mushroom sauce flavoured with herbs, spices and sun-dried tomatoes. Serve with perfect mashed potatoes for a hearty meal.
- Chicken thighs: When baking chicken, thighs are better than breasts as they stay more succulent and don't dry out.
- Mushrooms: Any type of mushrooms will work in this recipe. I like to keep it simple with white button mushroom, but you could use brown mushrooms, portobello or shiitake mushrooms.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: These give the sauce a lovely saltiness and go so well with chicken.
Note: Scroll to the recipe card for the ingredients, quantities and the full method.
Step by step instructions:
Preheat oven to 170°C fan bake. Mix together paprika, cumin, cornflour, salt, garlic and olive oil in a large ovenproof baking dish.
Cut the chicken thighs in half. Place in the baking dish and stir to coat.
Add the mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes and chicken stock then stir everything together. Scatter over fresh thyme.
Bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven. Pour in the cream and stir through.
Bake for 5 more minutes until golden and bubbling.
Serve on top of hot mashed potato and garnish with fresh basil.
Chicken thighs have more fat in them, and fat is where the flavour is! So, although chicken breasts are leaner and healthier, chicken thighs are tastier.
For something a little lighter, or perhaps even dairy free, you can use your favourite type of milk (including plant based) as a replacement for the cream.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat until the chicken is piping hot the whole way through.
This meal could also be frozen. Keep it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months. Allow to defrost completely before reheating in the oven or microwave.
Mashed potato is an excellent option to serve with this meal. Creamy and soft, mashed potatoes are great for soaking up all the juicy sauce.
Made this recipe?
Please click on the stars below to rate it!
- 1 Tbsp ground paprika
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 800g boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 40g sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- ½ cup cream
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan bake.
- Mix together paprika, cumin, cornflour, salt, garlic and olive oil in a large ovenproof baking dish.
- Cut the chicken thighs in half. Place in the baking dish and stir to coat.
- Add the mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes and chicken stock then stir everything together. Scatter over fresh thyme.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven. Pour in the cream and stir through.
- Bake for 5 more minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Serve on top of hot mashed potato and garnish with fresh basil.
- You could also serve this on top of cooked pasta or rice.
- Chicken breast could be used instead of chicken thighs, cooking times may vary.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 553Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 279mgSodium: 1002mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 53g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.
Thank you for checking out this recipe. I hope you enjoy making and eating it! If you have any questions, queries or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment below.
If you don't already follow me, head over to my Instagram or Facebook pages to keep up to date with all my new recipes.