Super easy to make and packed full of protein, my Corn Fritters are a great weekend meal.
The best thing about my tasty Corn Fritters is that you can have them at any time of the day. Breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner these corn fritters are always a winner. Like a lot of people, we try and mix up our meat meals with vegetarian through the week and this is one of my go-tos for something nutritious and delicious.
The secret ingredient is Cottage Cheese. This makes the fritters really light and fluffy. I also like that they have three different veggies in them. I like to serve mine with avocado or a side salad. You can also make these gluten free by using gluten free self raising flour.
How to make Corn Fritters:
First, crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk together. Then stir in the cottage cheese, milk, spinach, corn, spring onion and grated cheese. Add the self raising flour and mix until combined. Season to taste.
Heat the oil in a large non stick fry pan over a medium heat. Add a heaped tablespoon of the batter to the pan spreading out to roughly 10cm in diameter. Cook until golden on both sides and transfer to a warm oven in between batches.
Serve with avocado, sour cream and sweet chilli sauce plus a side salad if you're feeling extra healthy.
Common questions about corn fritters:
Can I use fresh corn instead? Yes! If it's in season feel free to use fresh corn that has been cooked and cut off the cob. I use canned corn for the rest of the year.
Can I make these gluten free? You can. Just substitute the self raising flour for gluten free self raising flour. Gluten free fritters can take a little longer to cook, check the middle of the first one when you take it out of the pan.
Pin this post to your Vegetarian board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 2 eggs
- 250g tub Cottage Cheese
- ½ cup milk
- 60g baby spinach, finely chopped
- 1 can (400g) corn kernels, drained
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 60g (½ cup) cheese, grated
- 1.5 cups self raising flour
- Salt and black pepper to season
- 1 Tbsp olive oil for frying
- Sour cream
- Sweet chilli sauce
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Crack eggs into a large bowl and whisk together. Stir in cottage cheese, milk, spinach, corn, spring onion and grated cheese.
- Add flour to bowl and mix thoroughly, ensuring there are no clumps of flour in the batter. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add a heaped tablespoon of mixture, spread evenly to about 10cm in diameter.
- Turn when crisp and golden on the bottom. When both sides are cooked, remove from the pan and keep warm in a low oven while you fry the next batch.
- Serve with avocado, sour cream and sweet chilli sauce.
- Chopped feta would work well as a substitute for grated cheese
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 410Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 1002mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 17g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.