This easy Butter Chicken is full of flavour and ready in 30 minutes! Freeze half for another day.
My recipe for Easy Butter Chicken is a great way to introduce your family to Indian food. Both kids and adults alike can enjoy this meal which is not too spicy!
As delicious as the takeaway version is, it usually has a lot of sugar and cream in it. My homemade version of easy butter chicken is super tasty and pretty healthy too!
If served with rice and without the naan/roti, then this meal is also gluten free.
I like to make a big batch of this yummy curry so that I can freeze some for later. I store it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months. Defrost, then reheat until piping hot before serving.
How to make Easy Butter Chicken:
To begin, dice the chicken into 2cm pieces and place in a large dish. Add the garam masasla, ground coriander and cumin, paprika, salt and cinnamon. Stir to coat chicken.
Heat oil in a large frying pan and brown the chicken. Reduce the heat then add the garlic and ginger, cooking for two minutes. Add the water, tomato paste and sugar then bring to a simmer.
Stir in the coconut cream and butter. Cook for a further 5 - 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is cooked all the way through.
Do you love a good curry? Check out this section on my website featuring all of my Favourite Curry Dinners.
Common questions about Butter Chicken:
Is this meal dairy free? If you left out the butter at the end (ironic I know!) it would be dairy free.
Is this meal gluten free? Yes. If served with rice and without naan/roti this meal is gluten free. Always check the label on processed foods first.
Pin this post to your Dinners board on Pinterest and save it for later
MADE THIS RECIPE?
PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS BELOW AND RATE IT!
- 1kg chicken breast (or thighs)
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or butter
- 2 Tbsp crushed garlic
- 2 Tbsp crushed ginger
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1-3 tsp sugar (depends how sweet you like your curry)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 can coconut cream, 400ml
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Hot rice
- Crispy roti or naan
- Dice the chicken into 2cm pieces and add to large dish. Add the garam masala, coriander, cumin, paprika, salt and cinnamon then stir to coat the chicken evenly.
- Heat the oil or butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook for 5 minutes until browned.
- Reduce the heat then add the garlic and ginger and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste, sugar and water and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the coconut cream and butter and cook for a further 5-10 minutes until the curry has thickened and the chicken is cooked through.
- Leave out the butter at the end if you want this recipe to be dairy free.
- If you want to add some vegetables: cauliflower, spinach, carrots or peas would taste great.
- Add chilli powder with the spices if you like your curries hotter.
- This is a large batch of curry so perfect to freeze any leftovers for later. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 787Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 152mgSodium: 674mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 3gSugar: 48gProtein: 57g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.