This recipe makes a big batch of chilli con carne made with red kidney beans, black beans and beef mince. A versatile recipe that can be served in many meals.
When you have a good recipe for Chilli Con Carne up your sleeve, you have the base for so many yummy meals. This is my go-to recipe for chilli, which I recently made using both red kidney beans and black beans.
Serve your delicious chilli with rice or on top of golden, cheesy nachos. Use it in tacos or burritos or enjoy a bowl just by itself!
Red kidney beans and black beans are both part of the legume family and are considered super foods. That means, the more you eat, the better you feel.
Who doesn't love an easy, tasty meal that is also super nutritious?
How to make chilli con carne:
Start by heating the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onions and sauté for a few minutes. Add the mince and break up with a spoon.
Add the cumin, paprika and garlic powder and mix through the mince. Stir and brown the mince for about 5 minutes.
Pour in the beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, chipotle sauce and beef stock.
Mix everything together then turn the heat down to low. Simmer for 30 - 40 minutes with the lid on stirring approximately every 10 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve on top of steamed rice with grated cheese, sour cream, avocado and corn chips.
Common questions and tips for Chilli:
Does this meal freeze well? It sure does. Once the chilli has cooled, place it in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to three months. Reheat until piping hot.
Is chilli con carne kid friendly? Yes! If your kids don't like any spice, you can leave out the chipotle sauce.
- This meal is so versatile and be served with steamed rice, on nacho chips in a burrito or even a quesadilla.
- If you like your chilli really hot, add some cayenne pepper or chilli flakes at the same time as the other spices.
Thanks so much to Edgell for partnering with me to create this delicious recipe.
Made this recipe?
Please click on the stars below to rate it!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1kg prime beef mince
- 1 ½ Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ Tbsp paprika
- 1 ½ Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 can red kidney beans, 400g
- 1 can black beans, 400g
- 1 can crushed tomatoes, 400g
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp chipotle sauce, optional
- 1 ½ cups beef stock
- Steamed white rice
- Grated cheese
- Sour cream
- Corn chips
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan then add the onion. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the mince and break up with a spoon. Add the cumin, paprika and garlic powder and mix through the mince. Stir and brown mince for about five minutes.
- Pour in the beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, chipotle sauce and beef stock.
- Mix everything together and turn the heat down to low. Simmer for 30-40 minutes with the lid on, stirring every ten minutes or so.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve on top of steamed rice with grated cheese, sour cream, avocado and corn chips.
- If you like your chilli hot then you can add some cayenne pepper or chilli flakes with the spices.
- Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to three months in the freezer. Reheat until piping hot before serving.
- Chilli con carne is super versatile and can be served on rice, wrapped in a tortilla as a burrito or with nacho chips.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 611Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 116mgSodium: 831mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 11gSugar: 4gProtein: 46g
Nutritional values are approximate. Please use your own calculations if you require a special diet.
If you don't already follow me, head over to my Instagram or Facebook pages to keep up to date with all my new recipes.