These chicken, spinach and feta filo parcels are so delicious and a perfect mid week meal, such a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken.
I thought it was about time that I made these delicious chicken, spinach and feta filo parcels again. I created this recipe about two years ago and it was my very first recipe video on the VJ cooks Facebook page, thank goodness my filming and editing skills have improved since then.
This recipe is great way to use up any leftover cooked chicken that you have, from a roast or a rotisserie chicken from the store. If you don’t have any cooked chicken available simply bake chicken breast in the oven until cooked through then shred or chop into small pieces.
The mixture inside the filo parcels is so tasty and would also make a great pie filling. With just a few ingredients chicken, garlic, onion, feta, spinach and eggs it makes for a super delicious meal.
Simply sauté the onion until it’s nice and soft then add the garlic and spinach, it will seem like a lot of spinach but it all wilt down very fast. Add the shredded chicken, crumble the feta and crack in two eggs. Stir it all together, season with salt and pepper and you have your mixture ready to go into the filo parcels.
To make the filo parcels, spray each sheet with olive oil spray or brush with melted butter then add another filo sheet on top and spray again. Place the filling at one end and fold in the sides, roll up, spraying in between each roll or using butter to hold the filo together. Spray the top and sprinkle over sesame seeds. Bake your filo parcels until golden and crunchy.
This meal is so versatile you change up the flavours of the filling easily. If you wanted to try a vegetarian option then swap the chicken for mushrooms, they would be so delicious with the feta and spinach. Make sure you season the filling well before rolling it up into the parcels.
You don’t have to roll it up into a long log like shapes, you could make triangles or even put the filo into mini muffin tins and fill them up with the mixture to make little pies. I like to serve my chicken spinach and feta filo parcels with a delicious green salad. The one picture is simply made with rocket, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and toasted pinenuts, dressed with olive oil and a sweet balsamic glaze.
If you have children that don’t like spinach you could just leave it out. If you don’t have any feta, cream cheese would also work well at binding the mixture together. You should put this delicious recipe on your meal plan for the week it will be sure to be a family favourite.
More easy dinner recipes to add to your meal plan:
[social_warfare buttons=”Facebook, Pinterest”]
Check out the easy recipe below:
Chicken, spinach and feta filo parcels
Yield 6 serves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bag of baby spinach (130g)
- 500g cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 150g feta
- 2 eggs
- 12 sheets of filo pastry
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 190.C fanbake.
- Heat a large frypan over medium heat, add olive oil and sauté sliced onion for 5 minutes until softened. Stir in crushed garlic then add baby spinach.
- Keep stirring until the spinach has wilted then add the chicken.
- Turn off the heat and crumble in the feta and then crack in the eggs.
- Season well with salt and pepper then stir everything to combine.
- Set aside to cool slightly before wrapping in the filo.
- Place one sheet of filo onto a board and spray with oil. Layer over another sheet of filo and spray again.
- Place 1/2 cup of chicken mixture in a line 5cm from one end, fold in the sides and then roll up the filo, spraying oil in between each fold. Roll up the remaining filo parcels. Spray the top with oil and sprinkle over sesame seeds.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Serve hot with a fresh garden salad.
If you want to cook the chicken breast from scratch then slice two large chicken breasts (600g) in half, season well and bake for 30 minutes until cooked through. Shred before adding to the mixture.